Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Social security income and a house...

Social security income and a house...

Okay, I have been living in public Housing for 6 years. Pretty geddo fabulous, but not a place to raise kids. When I moved here, I was pretty broke. I am eligible because of my SCI. Not everybody can just rent a unit in housing. Well, about 2 years in, I won a settlement for my injury. A large settlement... My lawyers told me the initial lump sum is NOT considered income. Most people would have left right fast after that, but I like it here. No one ever asked about my income (I kept the lawsuit very quiet for obvious reasons), just a W2 form at the end of the year. We settled with Medicaid, since they paid a lot of my bills when I was first injured. No biggie there.
    Here's where it gets tricky. Presently, I am not working. SO, there are no red flags down here in the PJ's. I get Social Security Disability every month. I probably should not get this, BUT it makes me eligible to live here AND Medicare deducts its premium from my monthly check-- it's about $54 a month for Medicare. That's fine and believe me, I live pretty simple down here.
    I am now building a house and it is almost done. I still want Medicare and I could probably still get my Social Security $$$ because they have never said anything. They figure that I am not working and just make that monthly income. Should I go into the SS office and say I don't want that monthly check anymore, but I will pay for Medicare? Should I keep getting that $800/month direct deposit? ANy ideas on how to handle this transition would be cool. I only kept getting that monthly money to be eligible for public housing. Now that I have a house (almost), I really just want to have Medicare. Of course, I don't want to set off a huge investigation into my monies. They are buried fairly well. Suggestions? Thanks!

My phat site (Not SCI related)

Should I keep getting that $800/month direct deposit? ANy ideas on how to handle this transition would be cool. I only kept getting that monthly money to be eligible for public housing. Now that I have a house (almost), I really just want to have Medicare.
    If you're on SSDI, you can keep collecting your check if you're not working. If you don't want it anymore, you can still keep your medicare by just payin the premium.

I'd keep your $800.00 monthly check if it's SSDI, ya never know what's gonna happen in the future, and 800 bucks a month is 800 bucks a month, no matter how big your settlement.

Might sound selfish, but you paid into the system, and it looks like it won't be paying as much in the future as planned due to the current political environment.

Good luck in your new house, make it sweet so life is easier for ya

"I believe this is America. Whatever happened to 'I don't agree with you, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it'?""
    ~Judge Shirley Rowe Trkula

-peace

Originally posted by rdf:

Should I keep getting that $800/month direct deposit? ANy ideas on how to handle this transition would be cool. I only kept getting that monthly money to be eligible for public housing. Now that I have a house (almost), I really just want to have Medicare.
    If you're on SSDI, you can keep collecting your check if you're not working. If you don't want it anymore, you can still keep your medicare by just payin the premium.

I'd keep your $800.00 monthly check if it's SSDI, ya never know what's gonna happen in the future, and 800 bucks a month is 800 bucks a month, no matter how big your settlement.

Might sound selfish, but you paid into the system, and it looks like it won't be paying as much in the future as planned due to the current political environment.

"I believe this is America. Whatever happened to 'I don't agree with you, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it'?""
    ~Judge Shirley Rowe Trkula

-peace
    I hear that. Not to be all cocky, but I was working 2 jobs and going to school at the time. My accident was being robbed and shot. I'm not in a gang or anything like that. Totally random. I kinda feel I paid my dues, but I would much rather be working! Hopefully, some day I will again. "That's what it's for..." is what people tell me about Medicare and SS income. It's a lot easier to tell people I draw SS than to skirt the issue of a settlement. Some members in my family do NOT know of the settlement, and you can't tell by how I live.
    I honestly wish I knew if it was SSI or SSDI, but I don't. Every so often they send an evaluation letter to make sure I'm still "ongoing and permanent" with my disability. That might help some of you tell whether I get SSI or SSDI. Since it is direct deposited, no one would really know I moved unless I notify them directly of change of address. I'm not trying to scam the gov't., but I could go through my monies QUICKLY if it weren't for Medicare. I dunno...

Building a house; check it out

you know, your lawyer shoulda told you this. SSDI is not affected by your settlement as it should be money for a loss and also not tax deductible. SSDI is affected by whether you are working or not, and you can still get it if you are working if your work related expenses offset your gainful work activity.

also, if you are on SSDI, your children are entitled to half your benefit. this is only retroactive from the time you notified SSA.

ssi is a whole different story. it is basically welfare.

if you worked for a number of yrs, you get SSDI. find out which you are on. frankly, 800/month sounds like SSI. plus the fact you have been in section 8 housing and did not mention your kids getting a benefit. my SSDI is quite a bit more than that, but that all depends on yrs worked and your salary.

also, on SSI, you are allowed a house and a vehicle, but only if you have no more than $2k (?) in bank.

i am in very similar situation to yours, but am eligible for SSDI. you really need to find out what you're getting. a simple inquiry to SSA would suffice.

[This message was edited by cass on 08-31-04 at 02:52 AM.]

If your getting MediCARE then it's probably SSDI. If you are on MediCAID then it's probably SSI. If it's SSDI, I don't think you have much to worry about, if it's SSI you do.

If your individual check is for $800 a month, you are receiving SSDI. As Kimmy suggested, Medicare comes with SSDI, and Medicaid comes with SSI, which is a financial needs, welfare program. The SSDI is yours, just like a disability insurance policy would be yours. Your settlement doesn not impact SSDI. Similarly, the Medicare is yours, because you paid premiums for it while you were working. There should be no transition. Enjoy your new home.

Originally posted by rdf:

LOL, posting on a disability message board your screwing the system is prolly the first mistake. (not that your screwing Uncle Sam "intentionally" right?)

Secondly, if you keep receiving your $800 SS money, and have made no "trust" fund with that new settlement money you have "tucked away" and its in your name, you better think twice. It may come back to haunt you many years later. You will be caught eventually.

RDF, do you think you are "owed" something, because you are "disabled"? It certainly sounds like it.

I honestly wish I knew if it was SSI or SSDI, but I don't. Every so often they send an evaluation letter to make sure I'm still "ongoing and permanent" with my disability. That might help some of you tell whether I get SSI or SSDI. Since it is direct deposited, no one would really know I moved unless I notify them directly of change of address.
    You need to find out what kind of governmental monies you receive. Secondly, the government knows exactly where you are, regardless if you move or not. Esp, when you build that "sweet" house of yours.

Good luck.

TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF MY MOJO

Originally posted by Lizbv:

Secondly, if you keep receiving your $800 SS money, and have made no "trust" fund with that new settlement money you have "tucked away" and its in your name, you better think twice. It may come back to haunt you many years later. You will be caught eventually.

Secondly, the government knows exactly where you are, regardless if you move or not. Esp, when you build that "sweet" house of yours.
    liz, if the checks are SSDI, this individual can have all the money in the world and still be entitled to SSDI. SSDI is not affected by how much money you have.

Call your SS Office and ask them what kind of check you are drawing. Wheither its SSI or SSDI. SSDI comes from your retirement fund you can draw that and Medicare for the rest of your life unless you go to work and make too much money a month. Then they will take it out of your check. It won't affect your Medicare at all.

Originally posted by cass:

liz, if the checks are SSDI, this individual can have all the money in the world and still be entitled to SSDI. SSDI is not affected by how much money you have.
    To all: Sorry if I may come across as "somewhat harsh" but really, this issue can haunt you years later.
    True Cass, here's my thought (which may not be correct). Yes an individual may be "entitled" to SSDI, but it doesn't mean that individual will actually get it (check) due to various circumstantial reasons set forth in the law after a judgement is made. Of course, one can always appeal the system, but nothing in Gov't occurs in a very timely fashion .

TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF MY MOJO