Thread: Lawyers, Law Students....

Lawyers, Law Students....

I'll be starting a Kaplan course in October after which I will be writing the LSAT. Does anyone recommend any literature I should probably read that will assist me in skoolin' the entrance exam?

I want universities to be begging me to attend law school at their institute.

~And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all- Socrates~

I just remembered something else.

I've been looking at law schools out here in Canada and one can apply under Access which means the application would be given special consideration (ie. due to a disability) if an individual's GPA or LSAT score was lacking.

Now, I'm not one for using my disability to get me where I need to go, but my GPA during my undergrad was somewhat fucked because I missed a lot of school due to medical problems. I could smoke the LSAT and not get in because my GPA wasn't high enough. Should I feel guilty for applying under this category or just milk it for what it's worth, cuz at the end of the day I have to pee thru a tube and all this SCI shit has to be good for something?

Has anyone else applied under this category?

~And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all- Socrates~

Globe, you've worked the hours, take the damn paycheck. I mean it's not milking to take the one small advantage you're offered for having lived a full life in a wheelchair. You've paid your dues and have unusual assets to offer because of it. Don't feel guilty.

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000

Originally posted by globechaser82:

I just remembered something else.

I've been looking at law schools out here in Canada and one can apply under Access which means the application would be given special consideration (ie. due to a disability) if an individual's GPA or LSAT score was lacking.

Now, I'm not one for using my disability to get me where I need to go, but my GPA during my undergrad was somewhat fucked because I missed a lot of school due to medical problems. I could smoke the LSAT and not get in because my GPA wasn't high enough. Should I feel guilty for applying under this category or just milk it for what it's worth, cuz at the end of the day all this SCI shit has to be good for something?

Has anyone else applied under this category?

Hi Globe. I don't know about the Canadian system, but I am from Alaska and went to law school in Denver, CO. As far as I know, there is no equivalent to the program you mentioned in the US. Law school, and the practice of law, is competitive and difficult. Use whatever resources you have available to get into school, get your first job, etc... You are not expecting any slack once you get in to school or get a job, and odds are you will receive none. So, use what you can and ultimately your qualifications not your dis status is what will determine your success or lack thereof.

jp

First it depends on the school you're applying to as to what weight is given to your GPA versus your LSAT score and vice versa. I would take the opportunity based on your dis, it doesn't say you're less of a student in any way but more it says that the university understands that you have more to deal with day to day than your AB counterparts. I wouldn't consider that milking anything.

As for the Kaplan courses I have found that they create more stress than anything. I went to school with some who stressed so much about the test from all the warnings from Kaplan tutors that they didn't end up doing very well in the end because of anxiety. But, on the other hand, some people have a way with the games that others don't so if you're not a person who does well with the type of questions you'll see on the test you may want to consider the course. I would have a look at a LSAT prep book first, take a few practice tests and see how you do before committing to the courses as they tend to be pricey.

For myself, I can't say what would have been best...I wrote the LSAT on a dare then applied to law schools to see if I could get in. It wasn't until I got a bunch of acceptances that I really considered law as a career. I decided to write on a Friday evening and sat for the test the next morning.

Where are you looking to go to law school? (Hint hint: U Calgary was rated #1 last year by Canadian Lawyer Magazine) I went to U of C.

Edited to say you can e-mail me if you have any other questions Kiran, the address is in my profile.

Bump.

More info in your most recent thread.