Thread: Q for Quads

Q for Quads

Ok, I know this post is not going to be very 'lady-like', but I'm going to post it anyway.

Last week I actually had to go to the emergency room for the first time since I was injured. I've always gloated about how I haven't been sick since my injury till then, so I pretty much jinxed myself. This is going to sound gross, but we've all dealt with it one way or another-I had non stop diarrhea so bad for two days that by the time I went to the hospital, it was mostly bright red blood coming outta my butt. It was terrible...they actually had to admit me for three days to be on antibiotics. I also had a really bad UTI.

Anyways, my question is mainly for quads-how do you deal when something like this happens? I live with my mom, so she was able to help me, but it got so bad that she couldn't handle helping me anymore and forced me to go to the ER. She couldn't wash the sheets fast enough and I needed her constantly for two days. There have also been many times when I've had to call her to come home to help me when I've had related issues. Sitting in your own mess for an hour and not being able to do anything about it can't be good for the skin or mentality for that matter. I know some quads live independently at my level and I'm just wondering what do you do when you get sick? This whole fiasco seems to have crushed my hopes and dreams of ever becoming independent .

~~Everyone wants to change the world, but nobody wants to change himself. ~Leo Tolstoy~

I just call my home health care agency and they send over an emergency PCA. Sometimes it can take 2-3 hrs to find one, but they usually do.

Like Theo said. And if you hire non-agency PCA's, notice the plural, you should be able to make the job decription "and PRN", many welcome extra hours. Also, and please believe me, I don't mean this in a snippy way AT ALL, you have to jump on an issue like that right away. If your doc won't see you in the office, talk to his nurse, if that isn't available go to ER sooner. I hope you're feelin' better and your skin is okay!

KEEP, KAOPECTATE ON HAND. WORKS GREAT AND FAIRLY QUICK.

bridget,

Like I mentioned to you earlier, sometimes, anticipation can be worse than when the time comes when you gotta actually deal. And ya know, when these situations come up, you just deal. There's really no other choice, is there. But, anticipating emergency situations like you had, and planning how you will deal, can make things a bit easier to manage. Negative experiences can be frustrating and yea, can chip away at hope and your outlook on the possibilities beyond your current state... but it's part of the process, part of learning to regain some control of yourself and your life.

I think many of us have felt resignation at times, especially when just gettin through the day seems such a chore... but I get the sense, that you're stubborn enough not to let this crush destroy your spirit. Hope isn't something that just IS, but is something that needs to be nurtured. The more you learn, from experiences like this (and you're gonna have a shitload more), the more you understand your needs, and develop the skills and aquire the tools to taking care of those needs, the better equiped you will be to nurture hope and realize your dreams of independence.

PS. I don't think it's #2

thanks for responses chick, lilsister, theo, and fuente

i took pepto bismal and pepcid and it seemed to make things worse. i may invest in some kaopectate. i got sick on a saturday and was trying to wait til monday to see if i could get something from the VA without having to spend 7-8 waiting in the ER. i use to have a PCA come over when i was first injured, but i got annoyed with them changing a person every week and they were not allowed to do anything 'medical'. my mom was like forget it, i'll just help you for now. every attendent, caregiver, PCA, or whatever that i have had come over has been completely ignorant to SCI--i tried to educate them about it, but got tired of wasting my time since a different person would always come. i never dealt with them in an emergency situation, but for regular care they require a weeks notice--actually there was a law suit filed against this insurance company who provides this service because they were unresponsible and completely careless with patients. well, im thinking my answers here are PCA, family, kaopectate, and when im old, nursing home guess i shouldnt think that far ahead.

chick, i lol at #2 me stubborn no way

~~Everyone wants to change the world, but nobody wants to change himself. ~Leo Tolstoy~

[This message was edited by bridget on 08-29-04 at 05:46 AM.]

i have non-agency pca's and like lilsister said i can call someone at any time... i've never run into a case where nobody would come over... i have family local that i could call in a bad situation but i prefer to use the pca's.