Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BEDS

BEDS

I've just met a man who was injured in July 2001, so 4 months ago. He is out of rehab and has moved home with his parents. His injury level is C8. He's just frustrated with his lack of independence. He's heard about 'rolling beds'. I'm assuming that means beds that roll you at night. Does anyone know anything about these beds? Do they work? Can you hook me up to some web sites that talk about them?
    Do most people at this injury level need help to roll, or will he eventually learn how to do it himself? I'm just trying to be a resource for him right now. Thanks!

Hi Kate, I have a low airloss bed which is on a hospital bed. I'm a C-7 and I can turn myself by graping the rails. Have not had pressure sore yet and have been sleeping on it for about 3 years. If he is like me it will take some time to build up strength to be able to do this, but in time it will come. Hope that will help him!

rolling beds

KateM: I believe what he is referring to is a bed that is "rotating" and turns the person side to side. It is used primarily in the hospital setting and is used for patients with pulmonary conditions. It does not take the place of actually turning completely in the bed as it does not afford that much pressure relief. Most insurance companies do not cover the cost of this expensive bed system in the home. He could check with his local medical supply house to see if they have anything like this but it is doubtful. These beds are usually called "Pulmonaire" or "RotoRest" beds. Many, many moons ago we used to have what was called a Stryker frame that would flip a patient over from a supine to prone position but a caregiver would still need to do it for a person. I don't believe they use these that often anymore and if so it would be in the ICU setting only.

What I would suggest at the C8 level is to learn how to grab onto something to assist in turning during the night. The other thing to look at is his skin tolerance. Many folks can get away with turning every 4 hours during the night if their skin can tolerate it. He would need to set his alarm for the middle of the night. Does he cath then too? Both could be done at the same time. Pulls can be placed on the bed to help him with the turning as I am assuming he is in a regular bed. There are of course other special mattresses/beds he could consider from commercial organizations like you see on tv promotions. I don't believe however that any of these will turn him from side to side nor that insurance will pay for it. PLG

sci nurse

i thought the invare turn q plus and span america turn select could be used as a viable alternative to manual turning. why not.

As PLG noted the beds don't actually fully turn the body. It's more of a rocking from side to side and does not replace a full side-to-side turn. (SAH)

I have an old bed from the dark ages, probably 1930's to 40's. I don't know what it is but i havent turned in bed for over a year now, 2ys since injury. No sores, nothing, and I sleep for 8 hours or more sometimes. Go figure.

Continuous Airflow Mattress

I use an Acucair continuous airflow mattress overly. I'm a C7 and haven't had a pressure soar from my bed in nine years. I used them at Albany Medical Center when I had a pressure soar and coaxed my insurance company to spring for the $7,000 price tag. Considering I was in the hospital every three months with a pressure soar they were more then happy to save money and buy me one. They can be purchased through Hill Rom. They are hospital quality and will last for many years.

Does anyone recall

... how they keep patients in the stryker turning beds? I was on one years ago and can't remember how I was kept from slinding out the side whenever I was turned. Do they cross a sheet over you and tie it down?

Unless he has some other problem,at his injury level your friend should be able to grab trapeeze bar or bed rail and flip himself to either side.

Quote Originally Posted by 611
    Unless he has some other problem,at his injury level your friend should be able to grab trapeeze bar or bed rail and flip himself to either side.
    True. I'm C5/6 and I turn using the rails but, as Tigger said, it took me a long time to get the strength and technique to do this. I couldn't do it when I left rehab but this guy has been injured a few years. He might just need to try something he was never taught - how much grip does he have?
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."