Thread: More taxis for wheelchairs?

More taxis for wheelchairs?

http://nytimes.com/2004/08/25/nyregion/25taxi.html
    Today, only three of the city's 12,487 yellow cabs are accessible, meaning that someone in a wheelchair has about one chance in 4,162 of hailing an accessible minivan.

In contrast, other major American cities, including Chicago, Boston and San Francisco, have significantly expanded the availability of the vehicles in recent years. In London, every cab has been wheelchair-accessible since 1989.

"New York is grossly behind," said Diane McGrath-McKechnie, a former chairwoman of the city's Taxi and Limousine Commission who has become a proponent of making cabs wheelchair-accessible since leaving office several years ago. "These other cities have been out there far in advance of New York. I think it's outrageous."

I agree I have driven with a baseball bat. It is a danger just like the bathroom at my job. I really get boiled over the subject.
    Matt

Most of our buses, and a fleet of cabs are accessable. Not to mention we have a system of wheelchair only transportation. Also, the stupid train is accessible as well.

Well, I guess that's one thing good to say about Houston, we have the most accessible sports and entertainment facilities, and a damn good (in the area of accessibility) transportation service.

Not to mention the tops in medical and research facilities .

There was an article in the Detroit Free Press (um, maybe it was the Metro Times) recently that someone was suing the city to get the accessible buses fixed, as they were breaking down and not being repaired...apparently buses there routinely simply pass by wheelchair users sitting at stops.

AB wife of T8 complete para

[This message was edited by Belle on 08-26-04 at 09:02 AM.]