Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another ssdi question

another ssdi question

ok, my buddies wife the walking para(uses braces and those cane things)did her phone interview, was of course turned down for ssi, but will she get ssdi. she is sci and can only walk w/ straight leg braces. i thought if yuour paralyzed it was automatic no bs, am i rite. she worked for 6 years after injury.
    thx
    john

fuentejps

you need to PT Samuel here he use to work there, he told me it was better to go in person to the office, that way they can see your problem's first hand. evidently it's not automatic. I had a interview and had to go see one of their Dr. then they awarded it to me. I never applied for SSI. not sure I know what it even is, But I think he can help you with this.

All I remember is having to fill out some paperwork, well my mom filled it out because I was still in the hospital and a little druged up at the time.

If I had to go in person, that would be a problem. I've seen the building they are in here, and it's not accessable. They have two HC spots and a ramp, but the ramp is way too steep, and the parking lot is a big hill. You'd think at least the SS building would be up to code.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

fuente
    i think it depends how disabled the person is--if she has proven that she can hold down a full time job, she may need more proof from doctors stating that she has gotten worse and physicaly can't do as much as she did before. plus, she can only make a certain amount while working to qualify. there's plenty of people with disabilities who just don't get SSDI. i would be surprised if you received SSDI since you work full time at a good job, right? i know if i started working at a full time job, my benfits would get cut.

~~Everyone wants to change the world, but nobody wants to change himself. ~Leo Tolstoy~

ok. i'll say this one more time.

SSI is income/asset based. you can't have more than 2000 in bank (last i checked) and only assets you can have are a vehicle and a house. a lot of dis ppl are on this.

IF you have worked and have assets, it is SSDI you are eligible for. your benefit is based on how many yrs you paid into it via your paycheck.

and yes, you can get SSDI AND work, IF your work-related expenses offset your income. reference SSA's Redbook. however, most full-time workers usually cannot meet this requirement. at half-time employment, i did it for yrs.

Yep, she qualifies. She was able to work 6 years after injury, but now it is not possible due to _____, so yes, she fits the profile. Did she apply for SSDI when first injured as well? There might be a chance that she is still pre-qualified for it (less than the 7 year re-evaluation period).

Originally posted by bridget:

fuente
    i think it depends how disabled the person is--if she has proven that she can hold down a full time job, she may need more proof from doctors stating that she has gotten worse and physicaly can't do as much as she did before. plus, she can only make a certain amount while working to qualify. there's plenty of people with disabilities who just don't get SSDI. i would be surprised if you received SSDI since you work full time at a good job, right? i know if i started working at a full time job, my benfits would get cut.

~~Everyone wants to change the world, but nobody wants to change himself. ~Leo Tolstoy~
    no , i have never gottin anything. never tried. i know my income is to high.

SSDI has its own criteria for disability separate from medical criteria for disability. Inability to work it the primary criteria. The fact that she has worked after her disability may make it more difficult to get approved. It is very common to have to appeal and re-apply for SSDI numerous times if you have worked since your disability onset.

SSDI is not charity or welfare. It is a program set up as disability insurance for those who have worked (a minimum of 40 quarters in most cases). If you have worked, this is something you earned during your years of work if you cannot work now.

SSI is based on income and could be considered "welfare".

(KLD)

thx everyone, i find this all very interesting. lets say someone like myself a quad wanted disibility, after working 9 years, would they give me a hard time.

and does it make a difference doing the interview in person. any other opinions on that

any other 1st hand experiences

[This message was edited by fuentejps on 08-08-04 at 07:30 PM.]

anyone else