Thread: Home Health Care in Florida

Home Health Care in Florida

I am a ventilator dependent quadriplegic looking to move to Florida, the Jacksonville area, and would like to know if anyone out there can provide me information on how to get Medicare and Medicaid benefits to provide me home health care. If anyone can assist me in this matter I would greatly appreciate it.

I don't know how a person exactly would go about this, Antpablo. I would have to guess that you contact your social worker and they in turn will find you one in Florida or at least they should be able to tell you how to go about things...hopefully.
    I do know that when my son attended rehab. in Florida, I am pretty sure I was told that Florida has a 6 mo. or a year residencey deal to meet with receiving state/social services if I remember correctly BUT there was a place/site I had somewhere with a program that offered assistance as you are needing during the transition period of it. I don't know it may have been because my son was still in under Medicaid, (State insurance otherwise?) I will do my best to dig in my notes/remember the name of the place and see if I can find it for you~ Otherwise, I would research via internet or call the city of Jacksonville itself and go from there.

I can't find the notes, sorry. Try contacting the Chamber of Commerce or look up Florida SCI Resource Centers.

Best bet is to contact the ILC closest to where you plan to live well ahead of time. Ask them about waiting times for Medicaid, services available, how you have to apply, waiting time for that, availability of attendants in your area, etc. Medicare is a federal program, so your coverage will be the same, but unless you are completely homebound, don't depend on any home care coverage from them.

Here is a place to find the closest ILC:

www.ilusa.com

(KLD)