Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quads and cameras..

Quads and cameras..

How many quads out there have or have used a digital camera? what problems did you find if any? what kind/accesories would you recomend for ease of operation....Thanks

~Never mistake motion for action~-Ernest Hemmingway

I'm a low quad with enough hand function to be able to work a camera. I started with a Canon PowerShot G3, excelent camera. It has a flip out swiveling LCD screen so you can hold the camera up above your head or in weird positions and see what your capturing. It's also good for composing shots with it on a tripod.

I still have the G3, but I now have DSLR Canon EOS 10D. I got a grip extender for it which makes the camera easier to hold, plus it adds an extra battery and doubles the number of pics I can take.

Without trunk control I either have to one hand it, which means I can't work the zoom ring while shooting, or I lean forward and rest my elbows on my lap or lean on something if I need two hands. I've been thinking about rigging up a belt or something around my chest so I can use both hands.

With the DSLR you have to look through the viewfinder, so I can't use a tripod like I could with the G3.

I don't know what kind of hand function you have, but I would reccommend something with a swiveling LCD.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Hey jimnms, im5/6..i have enough hand function to grip a camera alright,even one handed.But pushin little buttons while doin so is what i fear may be a problem..The LCD screen i imagine would make it somewhat easier thow..

~Never mistake motion for action~-Ernest Hemmingway

I have tenodesis only in my right hand, fair function in my left, so I have to hold my Canon PowerShot A60 upside down. $200.00 from Target, with software. I had to try out several to find one I can manage.

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000

My G3 came with a remote, but you can get a manual remote shutter thing that should fit almost any camera. It's kind of funny looking, but you could hold the camera with one hand and work the sutter button with the other.

A friend had one on a Nikon Coolpix camera. It's hard to describe it, but the on he had attached to the tripod mount. You have to adjust it to fit your camera. It had a long cable wit the button on the end. When you pushed the button, it forces a small pin down and pushes the shutter button.

He doesn't have that camera anymore, but I'll see if I can find a picture of one.

Some cameras have an optional electronic remote shutter, but it's usually specific to that camera. They make one for my Canon 10D, but I don't have it.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

[This message was edited by jimnms on 08-01-04 at 06:31 AM.]

Ok, I just did a quick search and didn't find what I was talking about. I did find one someone made out of legos, so you can still get the idea of what it does.

http://www.philohome.com/remote990/remote990.htm

_____

I think this type of release is what Jim is referring to:

go to www.bhphoto.com & do a search for "mechanical cable releases"

Shaun, do you have a camera already? If so, what do you have? If not, what do you intend to use it for, and what kind of budget are you working with?

I have the same problem as stated below; clusmy fingers and small buttons. Sony DSC-V1 has an optional wired remote, but its a bit pricey to me, I'm still looking at options. On the up side, its a Pro-Cybershot and makes shots in 0 lux. The remote also works on Sony video cameras with a LANC connection.

Anyone know about wired remotes on other brands? My 35mm days seem to be about over. Cable releases are still plentiful, but bulb release are very rare. (you can bite those things, but the taste is close to producing a gag reflex).

Mingo - there are bulb releases available @ B&H. See link below.

Just bite the bullet & buy a proprietary electronic shutter release for the V1. I had to for my Sony 717 as well as one for my Canon DSLR. They're not cheap, but well worth it in terms of functionality, IMO. I use both w/ a tripod, but have had great success biting the releases to trigger a shutter if need be.

As a side note, I played with a Sony 828 & was surprised to find its shutter button sensitive enough to use without any adaptation... much different than my 717.

[This message was edited by scott pruett on 08-01-04 at 05:55 PM.]