Thread: Could someone explain to me...

Could someone explain to me...

just what Vocation Rehabilitation is about or for? What it is essentially about, state to state or is there in essence an established guideline of sorts that pertains to this program across the country and the funding it receives otherwise?

[This message was edited by teesieme on 07-29-04 at 11:22 PM.]

The VR here usually works with your insurance/Medicaid/Medicare to get equipment, and they'll pick up what isn't covered. You have to be evaluated by a councelor first and they dicide if you need it or not.

The strange thing here though is they wont cover the costs of modifying a vehicle unless you get a job first, but how can you get a job without transportation. They usually take forever to get something done, so if you did get a job, I doubt they'd wait for VR to get around to modifying your vehicle before hiring you.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

VR varies from state to state but all states receive funding under the Rehabilitation Actof 1972, Section 504. Most states only provide services that allow for return to work and or school. To find out what your state rehab covers, please go to http://www.state.mn.us
    Vocational rehabilitation will be listed under Disability services or Education. All funding comes from Department of Education.

What services in particular are you seeking?

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles"....C. Reeve 1998

[This message was edited by cheesecake on 07-30-04 at 08:32 AM.]

What I am seeking and have been for quite awhile now is: some help with seeing if my son can, first of all, actually do what it is he wants to do, then have some assistance in placing/finding him the right places to go to do so, the right classes to take, and just some basic guidance overall in a job/career.

I have written about this all before...I will check out the Mn. site, thank you.

The kid is on a waiting list with V/R, our insurance is going to pressure us soon with discontinuing it due to his non-education status since his injury of over two years now. Something with the Cobra law and what have you. He doesn't want to just go for anything, he wants to see if he can do what it is he believes he is capable of doing first. He is also working part time now and will have some serious p.t. coming up next week also to work around. We may move in the future, thus he need some classes/credits he could transfer???
    Medicaid/Medicare-health insurance working with him on this one, I can't even find him the social worker they tell me he should have assisting him with things otherwise! Ah hell, see how much I don't understand all this crap? So much for my advocacy title...I suck at it obviously!

I figured maybe we had better just go straight to a college he is interested in perhaps, and since you validated the 'dept. of education' part, maybe that is the key that will open a door or two~

Maybe these links will help some.

Vocational Rehabilitation

Vocational Rehabilitation Offices by State

Disability Resources.org
    Click on States, pick the state you want. Each one has a Voc Rehab office listed.

http://www.netac.rit.edu/publication..._acronyms.html

WheelchairNet.org's FactSheet on Vocational Rehabilitation
    Factsheet

U.S. Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services' Rehabilitation Services Administration
    OSER

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles"....C. Reeve 1998

Thank you. You will have to forgive me, this search and the waiting and the being directed elsewhere constantly, gets the better of me at times. Perhaps I ask or expect too much, I don't know but it is the idea of fairness and all that fuels my fire. If there is help out there, I have come to know many besides my son that aren't getting any. As I may have written, it has prompted me to want to seek an education myself once the kid gets set and on his way w/ his own life. I plan to become a paralegal. And with this, I intend to make a difference if I can for those going through the things we have in trying to find help...
    A friend of mine seeded that thought even more so this past spring, when she told me she was one of the four ladies who began the fight years back with the child support laws there are today. She made a difference, perhaps someday I will too.