Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dressing Yourself

Dressing Yourself

How many of you dress *IN* your chair?

When I first was injured I would transfer to my bed, dress, then back to my chair. However, it didn't take long before I began to dress while in my chair.

I thought of this today because my new chair has solid clothing guards which make it a bit harder to dress. Specifically putting my jeans/pants/shorts on.

Feel free to share your tips and tricks for wheelchair dressing.

-ResonantEcho

Visit me and sign my guestbook at www.kevs-korner.net

I dress on my toilet chair.
    Every morning I transfer from bed to wheelchair and then from wheelchair to showerchair. I put a towel on my my seat cushion and get out of shower. I put on an oversized shirt and eat breakfast, fix my hair, etc while drying. I then transfer onto my toilet chair and get dressed. I transfer sidewaysfrom my wheelchair onto the front of my toiletchair and I leave my chair there. I lift my leg onto my seat cushion which allows me easy access to my foot to put on pants, socks and shoes. I like having the hole there in the toilet seat which offers less friction than my wheelchair seat when pulling up my pants.
    Also my powerchair armrests are soild whereas my toiletchair armrests are not which gives me more room to hook my pants on my wrists and pull them up.
    Was that too much info???!
    After my injury 15yrs ago, I tried dressing in bed but that was a nightmare! I can never get to my legs, much less my feet, while lying flat!

Shannon
    C6/7 incomplete

I have always dressed in my chair but my clothing guards come off - I always stick them on if I go out of the house to keep clothes clean.

Quickie and Ti Lite chairs have detachable clothing guards - I take one off to transfer because I land on them and they break!

Bump.After you describe how you dress in your chair, could you state your injury level. I,m c6/7 complete and would like to learn this trick.
    Thanks

im a c4-5 inc, i have to put my pants/shorts on in bed, never could do it in chair.

Sorry. I'm a PARA T6/T7 Complete.

-ResonantEcho

Visit me at Kev's Korner and sign my Guest Book.

I've done it before, but I can transfer to the bed, get dressed, and transfer back to the chair alot faster than I can get dressed in the chair.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

I tryed getting dressed in my chair but I cant seem to do it. My problem is with pants and underwear. How are you supposed to lift and pull your pants up at the same time? T4 since 9-21-03

JOE

Originally posted by JoJo:

I tryed getting dressed in my chair but I cant seem to do it. My problem is with pants and underwear. How are you supposed to lift and pull your pants up at the same time? T4 since 9-21-03

JOE

underwear, in a chair. heck no, comando all the way

I push myself up with one arm and yank up my clothes with the other. T7 complete. I only dressed in bed back in the sci unit when I was first injured.