Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the road to getting back on the road.

On the road to getting back on the road.

Friday July 9th was a big step for me. I went and took my first driving lesson since my injury. All I did was drive around the hospital parking lot getting used to the hand controls. But I go back this coming friday to continue. The instructor says that each time i come back we will work our way up and finally ending by driving on the interstate and after off to the dmv to get approved and then it will be time to get some wheels. I am pretty excited about it all. I will keep updating this after each session and accomplishment. Thanks for reading. I just thought i would share.

I did'nt drive for 14 years and wanted to get permit first but they said I could'nt because I let my license expire. There was no way to practice or anything, I kinda broke the law and drove around school parking lot and then also about 50 miles on country roads the night before taking test.
    Well I went to take the test the next day and they kinda made big deal about hand controls and if I was allowed to take test, finally after about 20 minutes of looking through the books and finding no law that says I could'nt take test........off we went, it was very short and I thought I done really well but she failed me.

The next week came and I could take the test again, I was so worried that they would fail me again for no reason but they did'nt even tho I feel I did worse that time than the first.

That was Feb 27th of this year and since then I have put almost 9000 miles on my truck.

Ok......I got off track.........anyways what I was trying to say is that it is very easy to drive with hand controls lol

Jack

While I was in rehab they took me out to the van to see if I could get in it. Next thing I know I'm driving in downtown Orlando. 3 years later when my license expired and when I went to renew it, they made me take the road test again. Like how did I drive for the last 3 years? Well I threw a tantrum all the way to Tallahassee (if I knew then what I know now I would have sued) and lost and had to parallel park that damn van.

You know I'm still pissed about the whole thing 20 years later!

Actually hand controls are somewhat easier to use, you don't need to take your hand off the throttle to hit the brakes.

You gotta get cruise control!

In MS, up until a certain age, you can renew your license through the mail if it hasn't expired yet. If you let it expire, you have to go down to the DMV to get a new one and pay 2x the renewal fee.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

I did drivers' training at the beginning of this year. After a couple sessions, using the hand controls came pretty naturally to me. I took my driving test in March. The lady I drove with was pretty cool. The only problem I had was that she wouldn't tell me to turn until I already had the brake on, so my choices were either use the wrong hand to hit the turn signal or not use it all. I finally told her that she had to tell me sooner cause I couldn't let off the brake to use the turn signal!! After that, she did, and I had no other probs. I passed and she said I did great. Now I'm trying to get hand controls in my car so I can have my freedom back!!

Good luck with your driving and enjoy the freedom that it brings!

Tina
    C5-C7 Walking Quad
    Aug '03

Originally posted by TINAMARIE:

I did drivers' training at the beginning of this year. After a couple sessions, using the hand controls came pretty naturally to me. I took my driving test in March. The lady I drove with was pretty cool. The only problem I had was that she wouldn't tell me to turn until I already had the brake on, so my choices were either use the wrong hand to hit the turn signal or not use it all. I finally told her that she had to tell me sooner cause I couldn't let off the brake to use the turn signal!! After that, she did, and I had no other probs. I passed and she said I did great. Now I'm trying to get hand controls in my car so I can have my freedom back!!

Good luck with your driving and enjoy the freedom that it brings!

Tina
    C5-C7 Walking Quad
    Aug '03

My van is going in to have SureGrip hand controls put in this week on the gas/brake control they are mounting a small 4way button(like on a game pad) for signals,horn & dimmer. I was failed when I used a vehicle that was not setup with this switch for signaling and was doing what you were Tina the person would not listen to reason at all small town so they don't test many of "us".lol.

If you've ever driven a boat, hand controls on the open road should be no problem. I went through driver's training during my initial rehab at Craig in Denver. The first day, we just drove through parking lots and around small side streets. The second and third days, I was on the interstate and even drove up into the foothills of the rocky mountains. Those mountain roads were none too wide either. You'll be fine. Congratulations on taking this step!

"Another day that I can't find my head...My feet don't look like they're my own...I'll try and find the floor below to stand...I hope I reach it once again" ~Norah Jones

Driving

Hand controls are extremely easy to use. However, your brain needs to be
    reprogrammed to use them--it wants you to use your feet for braking and acceleration. I had a couple of hours training with hand controls at rehab. Passed the NC driver's test with flying colors, first time out. Good luck and happy motoring.

Well today i went and did more driving. I went out on the highway going about 45. It was fun for me. A lot easier than last week i felt a lot more comfortable. The instructor says that tuesday i will be going out on the interstate at speeds of 55 to 65. And friday i should be done and go to the dmv to get the ok. But i need some help deciding somethig. I plan on buying a used van but i dont if i should get a minivan or a full-sized van. I also am not sure about whether i should drive from the sea or my wheelchair. I will have some trouble transferring(at least at first) if i drive from a seat due to a brachial plexis injury in my left arm. Also can someone tell me a website that i can purchase hill climbers. That would help as far as me getting up the ramp on a minivan. I appreciate the help.