Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Musical instruments

I'm a guitarist who can't play guitar. Mmmhmm.

Now on a serious note: Grade 8 piano, grade 8 violin, grade 5 flute, love to play guitar. And I used to be in the choir....

Here are a few words used in music language...

libretto: is the text of an opera, it comes from 'libro' (book), in Italy you would call any certification a libretto, e.g. the sheet of paper you get if you buy a car to prove that it is yours (libretto di circulatione), if you buy shares....and so on.

aria: a song (solo) in an opera

recitativo: the sentences in an opera which are no arias or duetts or terzetts , just telling the story

staccato (stacc.): staccare = to separate, you would not combine two (or more) sounds like haaaa, you would sing (or blow if it is a flute) ha,ha,ha,ha.....you would blow out the air for each sound anew (one breath with interrupted output: hu hu hu like a locomotive)not to be mixed up with tr (tremolo): continuous breathing out but you let your voice tremble.

falsetto: to sing as if you would have a fistula in your throat

adago: slowly

andante: without special intonation, normal, andara = walking

moderato: moderate

moderato affettuoso: sing (or play if it refers to an instrument) as if you would be touched moderately,

affettuoso: sing with the accent of passion

p (piano) : still

pp: very still

tranquillo = pssst

f (forte) : strong, with power

ff : with much power

tempo = speed

affrett. (affretto) = increase speed

rit. (ritardando = slow down, retard

rall. (rallentando) = reduce speed

allegro = merrily, cheerful, easy

allegretto = moderate merrily

con allegria = in merrily mood

stent. (stentatamente) = the opposite of allegro = troublesome, clumsy, rough

con brio = 'vivant', vivacious, lively

allegro con brio

deciso = decidedly, firm, determined

largo, largamente = broad, voluminoso

cresc. (crescendo) = growing, increasing volume and loudness

più = continue; e.g. più f., più p., più cresc.

assai = much, enough (assez in French), e.g. rit. assai, meno mosso e dolce assai = less moved and sweet enough

refrain = repeat

etc.

Please continue if you know some more...

"Well YOU may not play guitar, but I play guitar...AND I LOVE IT!"

[This message was edited by OneBlueNatalie on 07-07-04 at 11:55 PM.]

I play guitar and have developed tendonitis in my right elbow. It's a sharp pain that will not go away.

I'll have to get a cortisone shot and not use my arm for a month.

That'll be really easy.

<i style="color: #666; font-size: .6em;">The rule is, jam tomorrow and jam yesterday - but never jam today.</i>

I took up banjo recently. I play guitar, ukulee and bass, but the banjo and ukulele and are my faves.

I found a banjo with a cracked and split neck. I got it for 65.00 from musicians friend. I took a chance at my first major neck repair, and as it turns out, the repair was perfect, so yay, solid aluminum pot banjo for 65 bucks.

I've played guitar for 53 years, banjo for 40 and just picked up the tenor Ukulele.

I had trouble with postioning playing them,though I still do. With the uke, it's a delight to be able to hold it with my left elbow more tucked in for support. The runs are so much easier to do and love the sound.

I joined our local ukulele group and it feels so good to be jamming with others again.

what you playing on ukulele mr patrick?

and look at ukulele underground.com

I just got back from a trip to Germany and I've caught a bit of a travel bug. I'm pondering the feasibility of finding a partner in crime and traveling the world as a street musician.

Like Noah, I used to play guitar and have tried the thumbpick/slide thing but found it really cumbersome and awkward. A harmonica, however... I could tear that shit up if I put my mind to it. So that's my winter project. By Spring/Summer I can test my mettle on the streets out my door.

I can play the hell out of a harmonica, and by that I mean, I make a hellacious noise which causes my dog to howl and jump into my lap to grab it from my mouth. BTW, he's a german shepherd mix and NOT a lapdog.

yeah, my cat wont let me play harmonica either. it's just too pitiful how tortured they get.