Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who feels this way....

Am I the only one who feels this way....

This really irks me. Am I wrong for feeling this way?

I saw a story today in regard to a high school football player who was paralyzed. Over the last year he has slowly regained movement and feeling in his extremities. Every time I see a story like this they attribute the persons will and hard work for regaining movement and feeling. You see this all the time with spinal cord injuries. I remember when Mr. Byrd (football player for New York Jets) was paralyzed his hard work, positive attitude, and will is what made him walk again.

Do these people realize those who have not been fortunate enough to improve have worked just as hard? Do they realize it has more to do with luck than hard work and a positive attitude? Still to this day, 18 years after my accident, I work hard on my body to stay in shape. I lie in bed every night and will my legs to move. Luck has not visited me yet.

I'm not bitter if the message comes across that way. I'm extremely HAPPY for those who regain movement and feeling. I just wish reporters would get a clue. People who are ignorant toward our injury take misleading information to heart. I've actually had people tell me I could walk if I wanted to. I just need to work harder. WHAT!?!

-ResonantEcho

Visit me and sign my guestbook at www.kevs-korner.net

RE
    I think it's great when anybody get's functioning back! but also the media will only play up to the thing's that normally do NOT happen, that's how they get their viewer's or reader's.

They should do life stories on people who have not been so "lucky" and find out what life is really like for those who have endured it for year's and most of them never complain.

Everyone's injury is different, some do some do not. I have been Blessed and lucky I can walk, But there is a great deal of pain and I can't do it very far. But my own Father tell's me "you walk more it will quit hurting" I would like him to try it for 1 day to see what it is Like. But yes I agree with you
    Duge

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

Yeah, A few people have said I could walk if I try harder in 23 yrs of sci, I wonder what they would think if a sci happend to them.

I get it all the time and I CAN walk. I know exactly how lucky I got. But if I only worked harder, I'd be good as new, or so they think.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, and we should shout it from the rooftops, THE SPINAL CORD IS THE BOSS.

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000

A guy right here in Winthrop fractured C2 in a car racing accident. He had the halo on for 3 months, just like Jesse did. I said something to him about how lucky he was to be walking with a halo on and he told me the reason he didnt become paralyzed with his injury is because he had faith in God. So even the people that do get injured just dont get it. Jesse has faith in God also, so why is he paralyzed if his reason is true. What an idiot.

Not only that, but how about the "if you only had stronger faith and prayed harder you'd be healed" business. While I was hospitalized, a guy came wandering into my room and handed me a prayer on a card. Fine so far, but then he went on with this business that I would surely be healed if I said this prayer over enough times. I believe in a creator but deeply resented the implication that lack of faith was preventing me from being healed.

"I was thinking about starting to procrastinate, but I decided to put it off for a while."

No mater how strong your faith in god is, what will be will be. I hear ppl say "Why did this happen to me" i think this sometimes too. For some of us we may find the answer while others may not. The only thing all of us can do for now is pray and keep our heads up.

Then you should try to get worse and hear what the people are saying

I have never heard so many stupid things in my life like the last year, even from people with SCI and from doctors.

TH 12 incomplete 12-12-69.

Originally posted by Jessecj7:

No mater how strong your faith in god is, what will be will be. I hear ppl say "Why did this happen to me" i think this sometimes too. For some of us we may find the answer while others may not. The only thing all of us can do for now is pray and keep our heads up.
    Jessecj7, what did you do with my son??

J/K I am so proud

If all it took was "trying harder," I'd be out on some baseball field somewhere right now, hopefully pitching a major league game. Every day for the past 7 years I have, as ResonantEcho said, willed my legs to move. And luck has not visited me yet either. It's just the luck of the draw, and nothing more. It has nothing to do with faith in God or lack thereof, or extra effort or lack thereof...as Beth said, the spinal cord is the boss. And mine's a son of a bitch.

"Legs are overrated. You can still get laid." - Kevin Girardi, "Joan of Arcadia"