Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 'handicaps'

'handicaps'

i'm taking this online class where one of the students referred to us as 'handicaps'. her post really rubbed me the wrong way...ive never heard anyone refer to people with disabilities as 'handicaps' especially coming from an abled bodied individual. i don't care if one of you guys called me a crip or gimp, but when an AB says somethings like we're not human, i just get offended. i've tried very hard not to let my disability define who i am. and this is even a philosophy class where someone should at least think before they label. maybe i am overreacting, what do you guys think?

Live simply, so others may simply live ~Gandhi~

Well, Bridget, as an AB, all I can say is this person is an ignorant moron. What's scary is that she may actually think she's being sensitive or politically correct with that term.

If she not, then she's an pathetically insensitive, ignorant moron.

Here everybody calls the people with disability for "handicaps". The most frustrating thing is when I read about the weak people in society, they meantion the alcoholics, the unemployed,the drugaddicts and the handicaps. They say it in the tv and in the newspaper all the time.

I do not think you are overreacting. I do not like to be called handicaped at all and especially I do not like to be put in the same group like the alcoholics and the drugattics.

TH 12 incomplete 12-12-69.

Bridget , this doesn't help you , but when i hear things like this i am reminded of something i read about Winston Churchill .
    at a social gathering one night a lady exclaimed to Churchill , ''you are drunk !'' , to which he replied '' and you Madam are ugly . in the morning i will no longer be drunk . '' unfortunately in an online situation you have no idea of the physique of this person , but i'm sure if you started to use words like ''fats'' to describe the people who are obese there would be immediate outrage .
    thank you ,
    dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .

"handicaps"? Like they used the word as a noun and not as an adjective? I'd be hitting that old "enter" button in scroll fashion until you could get that particular useage banned in your class.

WFE, I hear you. But over here in the US it's when the media icludes women with other minorities. Sorry folks but according to all the census results I've ever seen women are in the majority here.

During our second year of dealing with the Maryland House of Delegates the group we had assembled for the hearing on funding SCI research at the state level were referred to by the chairman of the committee as in "ok, the wheelchair people are next". I have to admit I wondered if we had suddenly shown up in our spaceship from Adromeda 3 or something. I mean "wheelchair people"?

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Originally posted by woman from Europe:

Here everybody calls the people with disability for "handicaps". The most frustrating thing is when I read about the weak people in society, they meantion the alcoholics, the unemployed,the drugaddicts and the handicaps. They say it in the tv and in the newspaper all the time.

I do not think you are overreacting. I do not like to be called handicaped at all and especially I do not like to be put in the same group like the alcoholics and the drugattics.

TH 12 incomplete 12-12-69.
    they do that here too, only usually it's "the elderly, the sick, the disabled".
    i'm surprised senior citizen advocacy groups don't object.....altho they might and it's just not publicized.
    i don't like being labled either, altho i don't think the person in your class meant any disrespect.
    it's ignorance, being un-educated.
    i think you should point it out....it could make for a lively, interesting philosophy class that day.

Let's get rid of invalid also. Read in valid. NOT SO.
    Darthe

Music, to create harmony, must investigate discord. Plutarch

Wether this person did it out of ignorance or on purpose, I think you need to teach this person a lesson. Maybe you should give us this person's email address.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Will ive been a handiboy and a handiman but ive never been a handicap.He's that beer drinkin cartoon guy with the funny hat right..right..

''Shoot the protester ya cant stop the protest.Murder the rebel ya cant stop the rebellion''..

As much as I hate that term, I think I can better it. The following is unfortunately true.

I was at a major SCI nursing conference, viewing the scientific posters. One poster (from a person and institution that shall be mercifully un-named) was presenting a project done on a major SCI inpatient rehabilitation unit. The nurse-presenter REPEATEDLY referred to the inpatients on that our as "our cords"!!!!!! I was astonished (and deeply ashamed for her). I had this vision of a ward with nothing but little smashed spinal cords laying on the pillows!!

(KLD)