Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is abortion right or wrong?

Is abortion right or wrong?

I just read an article a few minutes ago that Wise Young posted in the Cure Section "Ends do matter: a rebuttal of the pro-life argument against embryonic".

After reading the topic a few minutes ago, thought I'd bring it to the boards, as I haven't seen it discussed here yet.

By definition an abortion is the termination of a human fetus' life before it reaches maturity and is born a human baby.

Many people argue that it is wrong to terminate life, no matter how undeveloped. It is argued that unborn babies still have feelings in the same manner that the rest of us do. The defining moment of progression between fertilized ovum and sentient, environmentally responsive human being obviously does not occur at the instant of birth, but at some point before.

Consider a pregnancy aborted simply because the mother didn't want a baby. Not because the baby was malformed or crippled - Just because she didn't want to have it.

Now consider the apparent logic that it is fundamentally wrong and unjust to end the life of what is essentially a human being without good cause... the fetus still feels, it is still being killed without reason.

End of argument so it would seem...abortion is wrong and murderous.

But I ask you... do you remember being in the womb? Do you recall being self-aware or feeling before you were born... or even before you first, second, maybe third birthday? Unlikely, some may argue impossible.

The important combination of rationale and sentience is what differentiates our species from animals.

It is perfectly acceptable to control the development and birth of animals we keep as pets in our homes, yet apparently unjust to terminate the life of an unborn baby for whom rationale and sentience have no yet developed in its premature brain... something more closely resembling an animal than a human.

As for me, I don't have a problem with the notion of terminating pregnancies. After all, a homo-sapiens entity is not a qualified human until it gains those two qualities of sentience and rationale. Something that babies has none of.

The debate, I throw to the floor...

I didn't read what you had to say, so regardless of whether or not i agree with you, i'm going to say right now that you are wrong and cannot be right about this topic.
    So, before you all waste your time, just remember, what you are typing is wrong, you can't win.

That being said, this thread will probably still get over 40 replies if it isn't locked.

Neither! it's a choice me thinks....

''Shoot the protester ya cant stop the protest.Murder the rebel ya cant stop the rebellion''..

The timing of this topic is strange. My friend is going to have an abortion. I dont really know why. But my thoughts on it are that if its not my child and i am in no way invovled in the decision making than why should i even care what someone else does with their body. If a woman wants an abortion than thats her decision. It affects no one but her and the father. And thats whose decision it should be. People against abortion seem to be sticking their nose where it doesnt belong.

Originally posted by melikeconan:

The timing of this topic is strange. My friend is going to have an abortion. I dont really know why. But my thoughts on it are that if its not my child and i am in no way invovled in the decision making than why should i even care what someone else does with their body. If a woman wants an abortion than thats her decision. It affects no one but her and the father. And thats whose decision it should be. People against abortion seem to be sticking their nose where it doesnt belong.
    I agree with you, let the women do what they think is right. We never know the reason why people choose abortion.

TH 12 incomplete 12-12-69.

Originally posted by Shaun:

Neither! it's a choice me thinks....

''Shoot the protester ya cant stop the protest.Murder the rebel ya cant stop the rebellion''..
    my thoughts as well....

It is 100% a woman's choice... it's HER body.

Whereas I have heard so much opinion & debate on both sides of the question and do believe that life does begin before birth...I do not feel it's my(or anyone else's) place to tell someone wether or not they are allowed to have an abortion. I would NEVER have one myself, but it's not my place to tell someone else that they are wrong for doing so themselves.

I do feel that embryonic stem cell would be greatly benficial for the advancement of research for SCI. Especially if they are going to be destroyed or no longer used for impregnation.

Just my opinion...you can agree or disagree, but it's not going to change how I feel.

'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

i have no problem w/ abortion. id rather someone abort than bring a child into the world before they are ready.

owls, bats, bugs...all protected by the iron fist of liberals...