Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow! (For book lovers)

Wow! (For book lovers)

I've been reading a lot since the weather here has been lousy (I love that excuse!) Paulo Coelho is one of my favorites, and his new book "Eleven Minutes" is brilliant. (I still love Veronika Decides to Die more, however)
    Am also reading GarcÃ*a-Márquez' Love in the Time of Cholera (in English this time), the Alchemist (again), Anna Karenina, Hillary Clinton: A Living History (I met her!)...Can you tell I read in very heavy rotation?
    Can anyone recommend other great books? Tell me what you're reading :-)
    But, Eleven Minutes is brilliant. I can't wait to hear what you guys are reading.

Andrea

Try "Blindness" by Jose Saramango. He's an amazing writer and won the 1998 Nobel Prize in Literature. "The Cave" by Saramango was also very good. I'll have to try some of your recommendations.

Steve

I have just been reading "The book keeper in Kabul" and "101 days", written by a Norwegian warjournalist who stayed in Aphganistan and Irak under the war. Her name is Ã…sne Seierstad and you can get it in English too.

Anyway, the book keeper is still really angry for the book and she has been in the court because of it and the case is not finished yet. She has been telling muslim women's secrets.

TH 12 incomplete 12-12-69.

Thanks Steve & wfE, I've written these suggestions down and will look when I go to the bookstore or library. Another book that is good, "Guns, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond. I know more, but can't recall them to my memory right now.

:-)

Regards,
    Andrea

Andrea;

Try "Soldier of the Great War" by Mark Helprin. It tells the tale of an Italian man's experiences during WW I. Well written evocative reminiscence by an artist.

Enjoy.

John

My favourite book has to be "Count of Monte Cristo" which I first read at age of 11, along with "war and peace" and many others. These days I'm more into sci fi and fantasy books, especially Robin Hobb, Cecilia Dart Thornton and Robert Newcomb, but Count of Monte Cristo is still the best. Revenge, poisonings, intrigue!

I am just about to read The Master & Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov, which sounded interesting when I read the blurb on the back cover. It is a "fantastical, funny and frightening satire of Soviet life" Will post again when I have finished it and let you know if it was any good.

I have just bought and started to read "Dude Where's My Country?" by Michael Moore,
    he makes me INTRESTED in politics and the state of the world! You either love it or hate it! Well, I love it!).
    Here are a few pages from Amazon with editorial reviews
    Recently finished reading the "Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown, top book well worth a read.

Thank you! I just returned in from DC last night and checked onto CC today. Thanks for keeping the thread alive.
    I picked up Nabakov's "Invitation to a Beheading" and Crime and Punishment. Also am reading Kafka's Letters to my Father.
    Am dying to read Moore's book. I am a big fan.

I have read "Crime and Punishment", I liked it. My boyfriend picked up "Stupid White Men" by Michael Moore. We are going to see his movie this weekend. Currently, I am reading "Lies My Teacher Told Me: by James W. Loewen. It's a non-fiction basically going over how so many american high school textbooks are teaching a very one-sided view of history. Very disturbing!

Who's ever read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?" Read it and college and I still think about that book.