0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%
  • 0 0%
  • 0 0%
  • 0 0%
  • 0 0%

Thread: Syringomelia after SCI

Syringomelia after SCI

Dear Mr.Young(Sorry for my english i hope you can read my e-mail from french woman)

I am paraglegique T4-T5-T6 (complete) since July 1998, I am aged of 42, and last week after multiple test witch include MRI, this test show large syrinx from C2 to T12 with compression C4-C5-C6-C7-C8. Every symptomes are located in left side; loss of sensibility behind the head as well as in the neck, the dullness of the front arm and the hand. Difficulty holding and feeling objects in my hand. Loss of force in the arm, pain and brulure in the shoulder, the elbow, the wrist and the shoulder blade, the difficulty keeping my fingers in extension. I can not make my care myself as well as my transfer. All this symptomes began from September 28.

I would like to know if you know neuro-surgeons and establishment in the region of Montreal or nearby where I maybe to refer. My condition decrease each day.

Thank you!

cyrjo,

You need to see a neurosurgeon right away. The symptoms that you describe are typical of an expanding syringomyelic cyst and an experienced neurosurgeon needs to evaluate and recommend surgical options to you. The current approach being practiced in many centers in the United States is to restore the cerebrospinal fluid flow around your spinal cord. I know some of the surgical centers in the U.S. that take care of this condition. There are of course many good neurosurgeons in Montreal. Dr. Gilles Bertrand is the person at the Montreal Institute of Neurology at McGill who specializes in the condition. If he cannot help you, I am certain that he can recommend other neurosurgeons http://www.mni.mcgill.ca/neurosurgery.html.

Wise.

Hello Cyrjo,

I hope you have been able to see a neurosurgeon, ut I just wanted to wish you luck with it. I also have a syrinx, going from C7 to T4, and its been shunted twice. The second time was successful, and it has remained unblocked for 3 years now. (yippee!) I'm also T4 complete, and the syrinx has effected my left side only, and I have limited feeling up to about T1 level on that side.

Anyhow, I just wanted to wish you luck should your neurosurgeon decide to operate