Thread: first time new tire buyer!!! Help???

first time new tire buyer!!! Help???

i need to buy a new set of tires for my 24x1 wheels. i have primo v-trak 25-540 tires. they are the sporty tires with hardly any tread on them.. i want some new tires with some tread but not alot. i want to stay sporty but still have enough tread that i dont skid everywhere. can i go to a 24x1 3/8 tire on my 24x1 rims?????? also, what have u found that is the best tire for everyday use? ive been looking at the 24x1 3/8 primo cross trax, the primo dura trax, and the primo v trak thats a 37 540 and has more thread. i want to stay with tires with tubes. any help is greatly appreciated from this first time tire buyer. Thanks

Josh Stevens
    T6 para as of 7/17/03

I've never mounted a wheelchair tire (put that on my to-do list) but the chair I've got has wider tires than that on a 1"width rim. Had to get high flange hubs though in order to properly support the wider tires. You might be alright with the 1-3/8" though. Have you tried calling some of the companies and see what they have to say? If nothing else, call you chair manufacturer to make sure you don't get anything outside the specifications and inadvertently void a warranty or something. Keep in mind, the Pontiac addage of wider is better isn't always true. The wider tires are going to increase drag with the bigger contact patch, especially if you do a lot of tight turns. Sucks on dense carpeting too.

Hey Josh. 1 3/8" tires will fit on your rim, but they won't be as quick and sporty as the high pressure primo tires (like your v-trak). If you want more tread, primo makes one called the cross court in a 24". It looks like it has tread that will outlast the v-trak, but I got the silver bullet (25") and the tread wore down faster than I expected. There's still tread on the sides, but a smooth strip down the middle. Oh well, I don't remember bike tires wearing so fast, kinda weird. Anyway, You can find those at sportaid.com.

Godspeed...

Originally posted by Goofball:

Keep in mind, the Pontiac addage of wider is better isn't always true. The wider tires are going to increase drag with the bigger contact patch, especially if you do a lot of tight turns. Sucks on dense carpeting too.
    That addage doesn't refer to wider tires though -- it refers to a wider track between them. Basically, camber sort of gives you this...it's more stable, thus, wider is better.

Anyway, not going for a thread hijack here...I'm a fan of knobby tires, because they're kind of 'all-terrain.' But I guess that's individual.

"Legs are overrated. You can still get laid." - Kevin Girardi, "Joan of Arcadia"

i like the primo all terrain tires

Wider tires are better under certain circumstances. But I won't debate that anymore, PB-aka-truck thief.

If wear is an issue, I've got a set of kevlar 24"s on my work chair, Quickie R2 and it's sees a lot of rough materials and crap in the shop. No punctures and very little wear in about a year and a half and it's the one I use the majority of the time M-F. Previous set lasted about 4-5 months. Good tread pattern too, not all-terrain though.

Try the 26 inch rims,, I did after 8 yrs of using the 24 inch, I would Never go back to the 24 in.
    The everyday gray tires are pretty good for what you are looking for

Originally posted by Goofball:

Wider tires are better under certain circumstances. But I won't debate that anymore, PB-aka-truck thief.
    I'm not talking about wider tires, and neither was Pontiac. Wide track...not wide tires.

"Legs are overrated. You can still get laid." - Kevin Girardi, "Joan of Arcadia"

how do 26 inch rims and tires do better than 24 inch ones? i want to stay sporty but i need tread too. i just want something thats good enough to go in the grass and such but preferred on concrete i guess. lol im still dumb in this category. hehe

Josh Stevens
    T6 para as of 7/17/03

Larger diameter will cover more distance with the same amount of revolutions. Personally I like the 24's better unless I had my chair set at 12deg camber. Be careful going larger with your current chair, especially if you don't have adjustments built into it to conpensate for the large wheel diameter. It'll change the handling, dump, tracking, seat heights, etc.