Thread: Experiences with SADD?

Experiences with SADD?

I spoke a couple of times at my high school concerning the dangers of drinking and driving. I had people crying with me and received several hugs afterwards. I hoped my message was taken to heart and if I got through to just one person, it was well worth it despite the emotional pain it caused me.

Judging by letters and emails from students and faculty, I reached some people.

I've even heard stories of designated drivers to bring people back in from the end of the year school parties. For those of you not from the country, these parties are often in pastures several miles from town on gravel roads. Ironically, the all-school party my sophomore year was located about a mile from my SCI causing accident.

I was happy to do it, but then I received a card from the school with a $200 check in it. I don't want money for this. PB(Paul) was clever enough to suggest donating it to my school's SADD chapter. They don't have one yet, but I'd like to help them start one with the money and serve as an advisor. As I was researching it today, I'm not sure I'm happy with their mission. They've gone from an organization against drunk driving to one that is against all underage drinking. I feel it would be wrong of me to get too preachy.

What do you think?

Oh, I was honored to be asked to come in to the school and serve as a mentor a few afternoons a week. Faculty members think the kids really listen to me. I'm hoping I can do this, but getting my spirits up first is a must. I decided last night that I'm a quintaplegic, because the limb growing out of my neck has been weakened by this injury as well.

You could donate this to another purpose such as SCI cure research (Dr. Young's lab or the CRPF for example) that you can more fully support.

(KLD)

Originally posted by ChrisO:

I decided last night that I'm a quintaplegic, because the limb growing out of my neck has been weakened by this injury as well.
    LOL..Isn't it interesting all the new words we invent to accompany this SCI life?

I think the nurse has a great idea. Donate it to an organization you feel 100 confident in.

Or you could use it to start a local chapter of SADD concentrating on the ADD part?

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

chris,why not team up with a staff member and start yor own program at the school. maybe not directly related to alcohol but maybe responsibility in general. i know you can get police support ect. no need to even mention sadd.

my personal belief, you get too preachy the kids stop and shut you out. i know how it was when we had a speaker at school, none of us got much out of it. i gleemed more from knowing a child that was a c2 quad because he had a drunk mother.