Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front wheel locks

Front wheel locks

Oh man. How many times could I have used these. When both rear wheels are locked our chair will still move quite a bit. Especialy on a tile or linoleum floor. Front wheel locks lock the castors straight ahead. The small wheels still turn. But by the castors not swinging, the position of the chair is made 200% more stationary. What a difference.

I lived for three years wth no brakes at all, front or back, lol. Now I want brakes on all four! I'll take front wheel locks over other accessories like hill holders anyday.

Are you going to tell us where to get them, or are you keeping it a secret?

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Quickie offers them as an option on the Quickie2HP. I'm not sure which other manufacturers offer them. But I want 'em! I'm going to be evaled for a new chair soon. I'm definitely putting these on my must-have list.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

A friend of mine locks the castor that is on the downside of the sidewalk (closest to the road) so that he doesn't tire the one arm as much.

Before wheelie life did you even realize sidewalks were sloped towards the road?

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

I looked up the Quickie2HP on spinlife and they're called "castor pin locks." They cost $59 extra. They'll lock in both 180 degree positions by flipping a little lever. Damn things really work!

Emi - That's a fantastic idea. I've worn out one arm or the other so many times it's not even funny. The only drawback is that it forces you to go absolutely straight. Avoiding obstacles will mean temporarily unlocking the castor. But what a great idea! Can't wait to try it!

Emi wrote: "Before wheelie life did you even realize sidewalks were sloped towards the road?"

It is amazing how difficult that little slope can make wheeling. It's that sidewalk slope (and the occasional steep curb) that force me to use my powerchair when I am going out by myself, even though I would rather use my manual 100% of the time if I could.

I have been training myself to be able to complete the Rick Hansen Wheels in Motion event this year and it is the sideways slope of the trail (for drainage) that is killing me rather than the actual distance. I can't get any momentum going when I have to push harder with the downhill arm and sometimes have to hold a little with the uphill one. I don't know how other quads handle sideways slope and curbs. I am fairly strong for a c6 (I think) but outdoor wheeling kicks my butt. I don't have the world's lightest chair but it's not that bad. I can move pretty good in the mall.

Due to my long legs I can't reach down far enough to use those castor locks so I'll have to figure something else out.

Oh man Jeff, those puppies have saved many nose-dives I'll tell ya. I've always had them, I'd be lost without them, way more stable for transfers, and when putting the chair in the car, if I didn't have them it would'a made it way more difficult. Glad ya found out about them

Quickie offers them as an option on the Quickie2HP. I'm not sure which other manufacturers offer them. But I want 'em! I'm going to be evaled for a new chair soon. I'm definitely putting these on my must-have list.
    put hand rims on the must have list also! hehehehehe!

T-10 complete
    10/08/01

MG - I believe it. They've become indispensable to me overnight!

Patrick - Handrims are number one on the list.

I just realized that even with the front castors locked I can change direction doing a little wheelie. Woohoo!