Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Virtual vs. Reality

In an answer to the original question ........see "BILBY...ARE YOU OKAY?" thread!!

You tell me ....virtual or reality???????

Just what is a relationship if not this???

Obieone

Originally posted by Obieone:

In an answer to the original question ........see "BILBY...ARE YOU OKAY?" thread!!

You tell me ....virtual or reality???????

Just what is a relationship if not this???

Obieone
    I never said it wasn't real to me. Just wanted others opinions. Good example.

Jewel, your Hunker is a hunk! And seems to be pretty witty too! Are your ears burning Hunker? Your'e being talked about!

or maybe it's an age thing .... cause ...

"I'm fifty .... fifty years old .... (lunges forward on one foot wearing a RED stretchy polyester jumpsuit) !! (That's for you Carol!)
    Thanks Obie! I just die everytime I think of that character! I wonder if she has a "best of video" out...I'd die from laughing, but I'd die happy!

Carol

Originally posted by X:

Jewel, your Hunker is a hunk! And seems to be pretty witty too! Are your ears burning Hunker? Your'e being talked about!
    Thank you, I think so too, he makes my eyes happy . He makes me laugh every day too, sometimes not an easy feat .

"Virtual" once had two meanings. One meant "truthful" (See the cousin word "virtuosity" for a more comfortable fit) and the other had a specific definition with regard to optics, where a "virtual image" was one, which did not correspond to the location of an actual object. (IE, there is no person on the other side of the mirror looking back at you, but there is a candle on the other side of the lens.) It may have started earlier, but the use of the term "virtual reality" to denote the lack of actual objects in the imaging at least helped to subvert this word to come to mean "as if real" rather than "real." (See, "literally" and "figuratively.)

Of course, the word etymology has its roots in a Greek word, which originally meant, "bored."

Point being, your friends are using silly words anyway. But their point that human interaction on the net isn't genuine is false - it's a different medium of expression. People use technology to create many different media for expression, communication, and interaction. But there are advantages and disadvantages to each. To that end, if someone says you should get out more, it need not be a negative reflection on your use of the net. All things in moderation, etc.
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Sounds like somebody has been watching too much Matrix. ;-)

Robin Lee, I understand what you're saying and agree with you. The people in question I would not consider my friends. They are using the excuse that it's not "real" just "virtual" to say any hurtful thing that comes to mind and excuse themselves for it. They were definitely not trying to say I spend too much time here, they were just being rude and excusing it to themselves. Interesting though that they themselves take offense when someone is rude to them in the same atmosphere. I call that a hypocrite.

JT - having a go at me again

geez - I wouldn't come here if i were not sci

good description of me before sci - now miserable cripple

thanks Jt

I happen to know what Diamond is talking about as the convo was in chat.
    She completely misunderstood what was said or how it was tried in many attempts to explain. Seeing this post.. proves it moreso.

Yes people are real.
    That is not the point.

The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny-- it is the light that guides your way." --Heraclitus