Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Virtual vs. Reality

Now that you say that Amanda, I guess I'd have to say that I am actually NOT who I really am here, as oppossed to "out there". In person I am much more open and will share a lot more with you. I will take more risks in discussing things with you, because if I put my foot in my mouth, I can immediately say.."no wait, I didn't mean it like THAT"...and try again. I hate to post something and come back only to find I wasn't clear or someone misunderstood and now there's a problem. So, you are right, I suppose maybe I DO have a different self here...not different really, just limited. Wow, there's even MORE of me when you see me "out there"? That's gotta scare a few people!

I believe it's all real: the people, the emotions, the friendships, etc. However, my experience has been that when I try to tell members of my family about my online friendships or issues, that looks comes across their faces like: oh no, she's going to start talking about her imaginary friends again.

However, my sister, who's also been involved in several forums for years, can sit with me and discuss all the angles, details, etc. She knows where I'm coming from.

What's fun is meeting these people in person, talking to them on the phone, or even just seeing them on a web cam. They really become real then.

Originally posted by X:

In person I am much more open and will share a lot more with you.
    That's interesting that you feel that way. I'm the exact opposite -- I'm more open online because I'm more comfortable with communicating in this medium than I am face to face.

"Legs are overrated. You can still get laid." - Kevin Girardi, "Joan of Arcadia"

Originally posted by Diamond Downs:

Yes, it means alot. People need to be real here and not hide behind a moniker.
    Is your real name Diamond Downs?

Kap

"It's not easy being green"

Don't let these people fool you into thinking they are 'real'. This site was created as a place for pretenders/wannabees to come and virtually live out their fantasies of having an SCI. All these stories you hear of people shitting & pissing themselves, getting sores on their asses, falling out of their chairs, having erectile dysfunctions, desiring a cure, etc.. are all fake. We only wish we were all so lucky to actually live these joys! For example member Chris2, probably the biggest whiner about SCI here is actually a world class able bodied downhill ski racer with all kinds of money, chicks, and happiness. Yet throughout the day a part of him wishes he were a miserable cripple that desired to be cured, carecure provides a place for him to come virtually live out being this person. Although if someones fantasies/stories get too unbelievable we have to out them as the pretender/wannabee they are (go back and look at parapal's posts). We have to keep our community of virtual SCI lives believable and as real as possible, so we can't be having shitty story tellers here.

*signs off from virtual cripple life on carecure to go jogging*

Originally posted by PB72181:

Originally posted by X:
    In person I am much more open and will share a lot more with you.
    That's interesting that you feel that way. I'm the exact opposite -- I'm more open online because I'm more comfortable with communicating in this medium than I am face to face.

"Legs are overrated. You can still get laid." - Kevin Girardi, "Joan of Arcadia"
    PB, I can understand that too. I'm just such an incompetent person when it comes to communication that having conversations on-line is dangerous. I like to be able to immediately explain what I just said wrong before it turns into something totally NOT what I meant. When I post something here, I will think I am being so clear, and only come back later to find I've totally offended someone. Lately, I've been more chatty than usual and again, I have screwed up in another thread! So, I think it's time to go back in my cave for a while! One thing I DO like about communicating on-line is that you can get your whole point out without interuption!

Ew! JT don't say that stuff! You are creeping me out! Now you've got me paranoid! What if I'M the ONLY one here who is "real"....aaaagghhh....!!

Don't listen to him Jewel! He's just a figment of our collective imaginations!

I personaly think it's all real here. I don't think anyone egxareates I think we want to learn as much as we can.

if it's worth anything I've kept thinking for the last 2 yrs that this is a bad dream and I will wake up and everything will be ok. But in reality I know better

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

Hey Carol, just to let you know ... I always understand where you're coming from. Whether it's been funny, sad, infuriating or just a word of encouragement ... I hear you. You don't have a communication problem--or maybe we're both just a lot a like--I mean, we're crazy about the same guy!

I'm sure most here are genuine and mean what they say when they say it, in that sense it is "real". However, to get offended by something someone says here means you're way too caught up in it and are in a fantasy world.
    This site can be helpful but to say you'd be lost without it tells me you need to expand your horizons a little.