Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: driving quad questions...

DA a six way swivels left-right,up-down and forward-backwards.My spasms are'nt bad i have weak tricep on the left and trace on the right.

Chick i was told i was complete but who knows.I use a manual.Speaking for myself here of course,the cons i guess would just be the extra wear&tear on the shoulders.The pros for me are just to get out of the chair for awhile.I find it a lot more comfortable sitting in a big cushy captains seat than my little 15x15 ass cracker.I think it would be safer to,but i dont know for sure about that.So i guess it's really just comfort thing.

''Shoot the protester ya cant stop the protest.Murder the rebel ya cant stop the rebellion''..

chick:

a) I'm much more mobile & a good bit stronger than when I started driving (the summer after my accident in '99). My initial drive-from-my-chair setup has worked well, but I have this little thing inside of me telling me I can physically do more.

b) I'm getting tired of being in this chair most all of the day. Any breaks to resume some sense of normality is welcomed

c) my next potential vehicle... well, there's no real way I could drive from a WC anyway. I'm working on modifying a jeep... more on that later.

d) comfort.

convenience is still an issue, but as most things go, it'll get better over time. I'm still out and about a lot, almost every day. Sure, transfers will take a little longer, but I'm sure I can find the time to allow for them.

Originally posted by CowboyCrip:

Spaceboy,

I drive from my chair and use a chest strap. Called a grand-mar belt I believe. It is attached to the push handles of the chair.
    anybody have a picture of this?

"I guess pain is a great motivator."- Yanni

shaun,

do the suregrip controls require any finger control or triceps? How long after your injury did it take you to transfer independently into the 6-way seat?

"The essense of Greatness is the Perception that courage is enough." R. Waldo Emerson

anybody have a picture of this?
    I'm not sure what brand chest strap I have, but it's got a got a large D ring that makes it pretty easy to put on and off. I'm a c 4/5 quad.

http://homepage.mac.com/bradd/Menu9.html

Brad

Spaceboy who is paying for the mods to ur van? If vocational rehab is then make them pay for u to have driver training.If its out of ur pocket either way. I would call Cris Cortney of Driveing Ambition.com. He is the only person in the country that gives on hands training he does leave until he is convadent that u can drive saftely. He has every device that a quad would need to drive. He trained me & I highly recomend him. His cell phone # is 915-588-3774. This guy is straight up. He won't screw u around when he is done u will know exatly what hand controls u need & what kind of seating arrangement is best for u now. Voc rehap will pay for him too so will most insurance co.

Originally posted by spaceboy:

shaun,

do the suregrip controls require any finger control or triceps? How long after your injury did it take you to transfer independently into the 6-way seat?

"The essense of Greatness is the Perception that courage is enough." R. Waldo Emerson
    Not any more then the other kinds.The grip part just sits between my thumb and finger and just a little turn of the wrist and it goes,as for brake a little push forward instead of down which i find easier.The reason i like it is because it sits up kinda high (the grip part bent up) so that when im driving i can use the door as an armrest and its great for balance.As for transfers it took a little practice but so does everything else.Its the easiest transfer i make now,with the seat sitting anywhere you want its great.Are ya able to picture what i mean? Its so tough to explain so someone else can picture it.I'll see what i can do about pics for ya man.

Brad,wow man is that setup...

''Shoot the protester ya cant stop the protest.Murder the rebel ya cant stop the rebellion''..

Hi Brad
    I was interested in the chest strap that hooks on the push handles mentioned earlier. Is that how yours is connected, or does it go around your chair back? thx

"I guess pain is a great motivator."- Yanni

Wow, I wonder if other drivers freak out for a second when they see people like Brad driving with no hands on the steeering wheel.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

Instead of starting another topic, I'd like to ask a question here. For quads who transfer to a Ricon type chair: What do you do with your wheelchair? Do you secure it down in any way or does it remain loose?

Scott (c7 quad) drives this way but has never secured the chair in any way. He drives a Ford Econoline with the middle captains chairs removed. When our children ride with him, one rides in the front seat (now that I'm not there) and one is buckled in the back.

One of my greatest fears is that, especially because of the WAY he drives (very fast and reckless), that if there is a collision, that chair (Quickie) will fly in the van and could literally kill the child in the back. I have complained about this for years to no avail.

Any suggestions? Ideas?