Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Claustrophobic quad

Claustrophobic quad

any Claustrophobic (Fear of confined spaces) or Merinthophobic (Fear of being bound or tied up) quads suddenly realize you are stuck in bed/wheelchair unable to move and totally freak out? i panic and have considered throwing myself to the floor just to move. i can't sleep and pills make it worse.

"I vote . . . unrestrained idiocy . . ." -larwatson

On a lighter note: Sesquipedalophobia is the fear of long words. How ironic.

"I vote . . . unrestrained idiocy . . ." -larwatson

I still get those feelings every once in a while. They were more common earlier after my accident though. All you can do is lie there, curse your SCI'd body and try to think about something else until it goes away.

Take the bag off your head ya silly bastard

''Shoot the protester ya cant stop the protest.Murder the rebel ya cant stop the rebellion''..

Originally posted by Shaun:

Take the bag off your head ya silly bastard
    But it smells like cinnamon.

Not claustrophobic but have thrown myself out of bed onto the floor once in frustration and from feeling confined and helpless.

More to this situation , but it wasn't resulting from panic.

Are you sure your feelings/thoughts are from phobia?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "do not be too moral. you may cheat yourself out of much life. aim above morality. be simply not good; be good for something."

This happens to me. When I'm alone and waiting for my caregiver to get home (Rarely). It is usually due to it being hot. So I have my fan running (along with air of course). Hopefully that will help someone. As it is a real dreadful feeling to have..
    Regards,
    Brian
    "Life's a Party and Your Not Invited"

Quote Originally Posted by MagikLair View Post
    This happens to me. When I'm alone and waiting for my caregiver to get home (Rarely). It is usually due to it being hot. So I have my fan running (along with air of course). Hopefully that will help someone. As it is a real dreadful feeling to have..
    Regards,
    Brian
    Wow, this is the first time I've seen where someone else had this issue. I've had this heat-based panic (not really panic, but close) 8-10 times, usually in the middle of the night when I fell asleep with too much covers. I wake up panting and very apprehensive. With a fan and/or more AC, it's always subsided within 30-45 minutes. Sitting up in bed helps me feel less constrained, and probably helps me cool off more quickly.

I find that driving and riding ferry boats helps get my mind off claustrophobia.

other members tend to get a bit snippy when "sometime" members dig up an old thread like this, but I always appreciate it. Brings insight to my quad bod probz.

[/vent(doesn't happen often for me)]
    anything above 70f I turn into a slug. Pre-injury I loved the sun and handled the "heat" (doesn't even get hot here in northern Alberta) well. Now it's ice-water and spotting the next shady patch every time I go outside in our (thankfully) short summer. I find myself sleeping most afternoons to get away from the heat and then up and around all night like a vagabond. I'm a big advocate of keeping active to ward off any of the sci problems we all face, but this seems to be one issue being active won't fix.

My social life suffers. People think I'm anti-social but I'm just uncomfortable and want to go home and hide. Being inside sucks.

<sighhhhhhhhhhh> contemplating move to Copenhagen, no snow and between 30-55 year-round. Too bad I don't know any Danish other than the one in my belly.