Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: SCI T12

Cheesecake - yes it is easy to use too many abbreviations. I'll have to watch it. Yes, UMN and LMN do refer to upper motor neurogenic bowel and lower motor neurogenic bowel. Mike

T12 Incomplete - Walking with Walker, Oct 2003

After i`m up for a while my leggs will ache really bad and I will have to lay down.
    Its like when your arm goes to sleep and then you move it to bring it back and you get that really bad ache for a short time..thats what my leggs feel like! Matt

"The Meaning of things lies not in things themselves,but in our attitude towards them"

Mike
    I can see this is going to be a great thread there is more people with the same problem's as us. I didn't even dream there were that many. Also Welcome Cheesecake!! I really don't know what kind of BP that I have all I know is they just do not work right! anyway I can see this is going to be a benefit to alot of us
    Thank's
    Duge

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

Stiggy, do you have any swelling? Is that what makes your legs ache? I don't have that feeling at all; however when my ankles and feet swell they do hurt also. Laying down reduces the swelling and the pain. As long as I wear my hose and don't sit for too long my swelling isn't bad.

Duge - you really should know what type of bowel problem you have because some things are more effective for different problems. The nurse gave the link to the Paralyzed Veterans of America site and recommends the bowel program booklet they have. I downloaded it (I think it cost $5) and it is very useful - it explains digital stimulation and how to handle upper and lower motor neurogenic problems.

T12 Incomplete - Walking with Walker, Oct 2003

Matt...I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "ache". I get cramps and spasms after being on feet a lot in the day but the real pain I have is the burning, "pins & needles" feeling.

It is especially bad in my feet and I've recently realized that the less I wear shoes, the less burning feet I have. This since I moved to a house w/ carpet instead of hardwood floors.

Duge..even thought you have a low injury like the rest of us it sounds like you actually are showing the problems of an Upper Motor NEurogenic Bowel as do I. This is indicated by the constipation, difficulty moving bowels, etc. I'll comment more in the PT.

Kap

"It's not easy being green"

One thing I know I am very lucky about is I don't have to cath anymore. I can tell when it's coming I just can't hold it so I wear a depend's.

Kap I may have I was never told what I have
    duge

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

I'm L1 two years post. I have to cath but I can feel when I am full. Bowels are slow and I do the Metamucil and stool softeners. My bowels typically move each day. I lost feeling and temperature sensation in my bum. Where I am very lucky is my muscles and movement is pretty much normal. I have been able to return doing just about everything I did pre-injury. What I do get is the burning sensation in my bum,down the back of my legs and in my feet. My feet and calves cramp quite a bit as well.

It amazes me how everone's SCI is unique, even though our injury locations are very similar. You can't tell I have SCI by looking at me. There are only family and close friends who know about my condition. It makes it a bit difficult at times to balance peoples expectations of a normal person and what I have to do to function with my SCI. Not a huge issue in the big picture, but something else to cope with every day. Reading about other's problems and solutions to deal with day to day issues helps me a lot.

Thanks for starting this forum. It is great to be able to correspond with others who have a similar injury. I was injured in a WC fall 7/17/01 and suffered a burst fracture at T-12/L1. I use my wheelchair for my main means of locomotion but can walk with a rolling walker and a KAFO on the left and an AFO on the right. I lack B/B control and self-cath every 4 hours and do a bowel program nightly using Enemeez.

I continue to work at therapy for more return and I am making steady but very slow progress. I was a former athlete so I often ache to get up and run again.

Thanks again for starting this forum. I am open to the suggestions and help from others.

Never, never, never quit. Winston Churchill

Welcome Yoink & Redford
    Hopefully we all will learn from each other about out similar injuries
    Duge

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

Redford & Yoink...welcome also. Red...when you say you were hurt in a WC fall...I'm assuming you mean Worker's Comp fall and not wheelchair fall.

I was hurt when scaffold I was sitting on collapsed and I went 15' to slate floor on my butt. I had L1 burst, also. I walk with cane when out, but no assistance around the house. People wouldn't know I was SCI by looking at me either...unless in the bathroom...LOL. I walk like I'm stiff or have athritis in knees.

Your symptoms are almost exactly like mine w/ the burning legs, butt, etc. I also have no sensation on butt, slow bowel, and cath about every 3-4 hours, whenever I feel like I'm full.

It seems that we all have almost identical impairments except the bowel breaks down into 2 separate classes...the "loose" ones and the "tight" ones...LOL. I did start out with the diarrhea and constant accidents until about a year post injury. Then my bowels flipped to the exact opposite...weird huh?

I have rods and fusion from L3-T8. Do the rest of you guys have rods/fusion/etc?

Kap

"It's not easy being green"