Page 1 of 32 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: SCI T12

SCI T12

Several people expressed an interest in starting a thread on those of us with T12 injuries so we can talk about similiar problems. I'm a T12 since Oct 2003. I was fused from T2-L10. I function like a L3 - I have very little feeling on my butt and the back of my thighs. I'm still trying to improve my walking (would love to not have to use 2 AFOs and a walker). I know that Woman From Europe and Duge can walk without any aids and am wondering if others can.

T12 Incomplete - Walking with Walker, Oct 2003

I could not walk good after soo short time, hard exercise every day did help me. 6 hours a day. So keep on working I was in the hospital and rehab for 8 months

TH 12 incomplete 12-12-69. I am still a walker but I do not know for how long time.

I'm six mos post. I walk with a walker and an afo on my right foot. I'm getting one for my left as well. Tim do you use the walker more than your wheelchair? I feel my docs and family are pushing me to use the walker all the time. It's difficult those because using the walker my hands aren't free. I like to be able to reach for things and my wheelchair gives me that freedom, but I don't think docs and family understand that. When I was in the rehab hospital the doc said with conviction that I would be able to walk. So that has my parents hopes high. I'm not sure it would be wonderful if I could.

Considering bowel and bladder, do most of you cath or not and what about the bowels? I can sense when I have to pee or poop an I just go when I have to. But when I asked on here about bladder people had strong opinion that I should be cathing. Now I'm going to go to a urologist and see what he says.

I'm trying to go back to work within the next week. Any tips about working with and sci?

Mike I do have to use a cane and probably always will according to my Dr. I don't have my balance and my right leg is weak from the accident.
    I can sense when My B&B are going to go but cannot hold them. I don't have to cath! Thank the Good Lord. I have no feeling on my butt or thigh's and feet feel like they are asleep my toes are curved so I walk on my heel's I might add that walking is very painful.Now I am having trouble sitting because of tailbone area pain.

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

I do not cath, I have done it for a periode but I still got UVI so the doctor thought it was ok to stop.

I do not have too much problems with the B&B, it came back quite early. But I have accidents sometimes.

From the moment I start walking, I did not use a wheelchair. I was walking all the time so for 35 year I did not have a chair. But now I am tired and I can't walk very far anymore so I got one last year. A lot of my pain have disapeared with the chair, that was a release. Here we do not get too heavy pain killers, morphine is out of the question. We do not get Valium for spasms either, only Baclofen. And I stopped with it because it was eating my teeth. I did not have money to pay the dentist.

TH 12 incomplete 12-12-69. I am still a walker but I do not know for how long time.

I use my wheelchair a lot around the house so I can carry things and so that I can sit in a chair and slide under the dining room table and the computer. I've got a 4 wheeled walker now that has a place to sit. So, if something isn't breakable I carry stuff on it - it helps when I go check the mail, etc. When I go to work I only take the walker. I can roll around in my desk chair (they've got plastic on the floor) so I get a lot of practice with the walker.

I still cath. For the first 3 months I didn't cath but I had to strain really hard to empty my bladder. My urologist told me I needed to stop doing that or I may hurt my kidneys. I can feel when I need to go but I cath on a regular schedule (whether I feel it or not) but do cath not on the schedule when I feel like I need to go. My bowel is probably the worse. I think I'm incomplete but I have very little feeling in my anal sphincter (I can feel a suppository but nothing little). So, I can't feel when I've had an accident. I also have accidents when I strain a lot. I sit on the toilet 4 times a day (after I cath) but only for a minute or 2. I either poop or I don't. Neither a suppository or digital stimulation seems to help.

I keep hoping that I get more control of my B&B. My urologist wants me to take oxybutnin so I won't have to cath as often but I read that it makes it harder to void. So, for now I'm not taking it; but one of these days I'll give up on voiding on my own and start taking it.

The thing that I'm luckiest about is that I have no pain. If I sit or sleep wrong my back may ache and my butt hurts if I sit too long but in general I have no pain.

Camille, my recommendation is to start back to work slowly. I started working only 2 hours a day and plan on increasing an hour a month. When I increased to 3 hours I sat on my chair wrong and my back really hurt. I'm really careful about that now. I'm an accountant so I do most things sitting down. My work is very good - they moved things around so I can reach most things.

I've probably rambled too much!

I came upon this post and thought other T12's might be interested. It is discouraging but Dr Young makes very good points. I didn't realize that the cure for us may be more difficult than for higher injuries.
    http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18333

Mike
    Do you have problem's with your feet hurting when you walk? I do have great pain! hard to describe but almost feel's like they are asleep. also the side's and my heel's are really discolered pretty purple dark
    Also when I get out of the shower and in really anywhere I try to go even on thick carpet I have to still use my walker. Pain is just too much
    Thank's
    Duge

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

Mike,I believe im a T12..I have alot of hip movement and very good balance,I have feeling in my lower back but it feels like pins an needles if someone went to touch it.I cant walk but maybe that would change if i had a set of lower legg braces.I stand with a walk for periods of time and i take care of myself.
    I`m a T12 and im not sure what the incomplete means.I knew it would only take on good hit in my lower back to end me up in a wc.I had a bad back before my accident,fell from a 3 story building and i landed flat on my back,broke it and the rest was destiny..Me and a Wc!

"The Meaning of things lies not in things themselves,but in our attitude towards them"

Duge, no I don't have any pain in my feet when I walk. I am still getting feeling back in my feet - can feel the outside of my right foot now and all the toes on my left. My feet turn purple when I am in the shower or go a long time without wearing my pressure hose. Not sure if you wear those or not.

Stiggy - I couldn't walk without AFOs. You should try to get them and a good therapist. I stand a lot too but it really feels good to walk.

Mike