Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: LASIK?

I had LASIK in both eyes about 5 years ago and have had trouble since. I have dry eye syndrome, extremely dry eyes that even the best drops and medication can't seem to cure. It causes fuzzy double vision in my right eye and discomfort in both. Also, I get halo's from lights at night. I certainly wasn't a good candidate, as my eyes were a little dry; I had to put drops in occasionally. Just make sure that you don't have dry eyes now, because they will be worse after the procedures. My new opthamologist told me that women have a much larger percent of dry eyes following Lasik than men because of our hormones. Of course, the older we are, the worse it is.

I had LASIK as well about 3 yrs ago. Results: 20/10 and 20/20 (left and right) from 20/600. Couldn't be more pleased. As a C6-7,(40 yrs old) injury life with glasses was tough - especially keeping them clean.

Agreed about the dry eyes advice. If your eyes are generally dry - require drops - your recovery may be tougher.

Dry eyes aren't the only thing to look out for. There is a long list of social, medical and ocular reasons to look out for when considering LASIK!

I'm the webmaster of the Lasik MD website. We have a comprehensive list of the contraindications, warnings and precautions for LASIK in our Am I a Candidate? section.

LASIK is just like any other medical procedure... do your research and find a good, conscientious surgeon. Avoid selling your eyesight to the lowest bidder.
    LASIK Eye Surgery - Webmaster Lasik.MD

Wonder how andrea is doing? she use to moderate with me on the R and S forum, last I knew she was going to college overseas.

I'm pretty sure that I heard somewhere, and I don't remember if it was just Wisconsin or Nationwide, that some doctors were doing the surgery for free for sci patients. It's worth trying to find out.

Exclamation Too Good To Be True

Quote Originally Posted by ikeraider8
    I'm pretty sure that I heard somewhere, and I don't remember if it was just Wisconsin or Nationwide, that some doctors were doing the surgery for free for sci patients. It's worth trying to find out.
    I don't know, pal; my reaction to this story is that, especially in this country at this time, "If something sounds too good to be true, that's because it is too good to be true." But that's just my typically cynical, dired-up self's voice speaking.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    I don't know, pal; my reaction to this story is that, especially in this country at this time, "If something sounds too good to be true, that's because it is too good to be true." But that's just my typically cynical, dired-up self's voice speaking.
    TSK TSK TSK jukey...you have obviously not done your homework here....it's indeed NOT too good to be true...it's in FACT true...Look at DeadEye's thread from last year(was revived the same time this one was a couple days ago) about getting it for free through the same organization...There have been numerous threads about the FREE LASIK surgery for quads and how to go about getting on the list/contacting participating providors...If you're interested in it, check out the links that DeadEye and numerous others have posted....you can do a search and find lots of hits...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    TSK TSK TSK jukey...you have obviously not done your homework here....it's indeed NOT too good to be true...it's in FACT true...Look at DeadEye's thread from last year(was revived the same time this one was a couple days ago) about getting it for free through the same organization...There have been numerous threads about the FREE LASIK surgery for quads and how to go about getting on the list/contacting participating providors...If you're interested in it, check out the links that DeadEye and numerous others have posted....you can do a search and find lots of hits...
    Well, Broknwing, ikeraider8's post:
    ...cited "sci patients"; even if it's free for quads,it's not necessarily free for paras...and I'm a eyeglasses wearing para. So I'll cop sleezy here and justify my, "If something sounds too good...etc., etc."

Steve
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    Well, Broknwing, ikeraider8's post:

...cited "sci patients"; even if it's free for quads,it's not necessarily free for paras...and I'm a eyeglasses wearing para. So I'll cop sleezy here and justify my, "If something sounds too good...etc., etc."

Steve
    Yep, it's free for quads. If you're a para, you shouldn't have a reason to take advantage of this program.

It DID sound too good.... but it certainly didn't let me down. Keep the faith there Juke.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

I would much rather be a para and have to pay then being a quad and getting it for free!! Is the cup half empty or half full??