Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: If you have half an hour to spare, here is an interesting interview with Ben Carson

everyone leave gettinup alone. she obvious knows black people well. i would even bet she has a black friend.

DA, you are so funny. Like, Roc Hudson funny.
    Originally posted by DA:

everyone leave gettinup alone. she obvious knows black people well. i would even bet she has a black friend.

I will show my ignorance as always - also I haven't seen the Carson interview

But, isn't it a bit unscientific to believe in creation? It has always seemed that way to me (but I'm pretty dumb so it doesn't count!)

One day we may be able to read each other's minds and really understand how another person can believe something that seems unbelievable to me. - may stop a lot of wars

I did see the interview and loved it!

My biggest surprise was that Carson doesn't believe in organized religion because he doesn't like to be controled!

He said he wasn't religious.

"Together we stand, divided we fall..."

Originally posted by gettinup:

NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF RELIGION AND PEOPLES (NARP) et el, 1998:

"...assuredly it would be extremely hard to trac the eginnings of this particular race of people (blacks) as time has erased their beginning. Further religion, rather, a belief in One God, has been traceable to the furthest anthropologic discoveries this commission has been able to discover."

Is this enough for you...now i'm done...the idea here was for you, cass, to research this yourself. And, I didn't just blindly say I was right...I said if you study history you MAY find that i am right.
    I wonder if this organization has considered
    Dr. Leaky and his potassium argon testing of bones found in Africa..long before this statement was published?

<"();:::::::::::::::;~

This is a nice interview.

I have the feeling that Dr. Carson, being a pediatric service provider..may have witnessed the spirit of a deformed child leaving the bones behind.

To me he seemed a person with many controlled
    passions. Very complex.

<"();:::::::::::::::;~

Good interview - but nothing unique or too original. why all the controversy in this thread??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "do not be too moral. you may cheat yourself out of much life. aim above morality. be simply not good; be good for something."

I am not surprised that a reasonable and intelligent person of faith could accept creationism over evolution, when given true fact and detail to consider. I fail to see where the race of the individual has anything to do with that decision making. I think there are plenty of areas where race does make some kind of difference but this is not one of them in my opinion.

Mary

If I can see it, then I can do it. If I believe it, there's nothing to it.

funny is ok, but i rather be smart like you. ROCK smart.

Originally posted by gettinup:

DA, you are so funny. Like, Roc Hudson funny.
    Originally posted by DA:

DA, since when did gettinup become a "she"?

Gettinup, Let's stop arguing about the color of Dr. Carson being responsible for or explanatory of his views. Not all creationists are black and not all blacks are creationists. He is a very unusual man and not amenable to stereotyping.

Chick, I must admit that I was quite surprised by Dr. Carson's comments about evolution. He is essentially advocating an "intelligent design" theory of the origins of life. He pointed out several weaknesses of the evolutionary theory:
    • Few "missing" links have been discovered. If there were really evolution of humans, why don't we have a more extensive fossil record human evolution over the last 3 million years of human existence?
    • The complexity (and beauty) of life begs for the intervention of some "intelligent" force that created it. Ben Carson used the example of the eye, suggesting that such a complex and beautiful structure could not have arisen out of nowhere.

There are indeed several serious weaknesses in the theory of evolution, at least as proposed by Darwin. Actually, after the interview, I asked Ben if he might come back. I would love to organize a debate with him on the subject. Ben Carson focused on several acknowledged weakness of Darwin's evolutionary theory. Darwin proposed that species evolved gradually, through a step-by-step elimination of the unfit. However, we know that there are major discontinuities in the development of species, discontinuities that suggest that not everything in evolution occurs in small steps. Steven Jay Gould (one of the foremost advocates of evolutionary theory) was responsible for some of the research that that species don't always develop by small steps. For example, if you study snail shells, you don't find a fossil record indicating gradual transformation of one shape to another but sudden jumps to different designs, often in closely related species, and sometimes co-existing with each other. In that sense, evolution is a misnomer.

On the other hand, the evidence underlying evolution is very deep and very strong. Unfortunately, creationists are not bothering to study the evidence supporting evolution. Let me just summarize some of the evidence of evolution.

With the completed sequences of the human genome and genomes of many viruses, bacteria, plants, worms, and lower vertebrates, it is clear that there is a continuity of shared genes that humans have with the lowest creatures on earth. Yes, one can perhaps argue that God did this on purpose so that we would have an evolutionary theory but it seems a little farfetched that His/Her efforts would extend to creating nonsense sequences in the genome that do not express but represent the history of how species evolved from each other. Some 90% of our genome are unused gene sequences that harken back to our origins in other species. If God went to all this trouble for us to have evidence for an evolutionary theory, perhaps we should believe it.

We should not be surprised that there are discontinuities in the fossil record. Darwin had limited data concerning genetic heritability in the mid-1800's and should be forgiven for not knowing that mutations can produce dramatic changes. A single gene mutation can wreak huge changes, for example a giant, a midget, absence of limbs, etc. Very substantial changes can occur in a species within a one or two generations, especially in times of stress. If there is substantial diversity already present in the species, a sudden shift in the environment, i.e. an ice age, a drought, a disease, can produce a rapid shift in the species within a generation. It is easy to explain why there may not be a fossil record.

People may be looking for the missing link in the wrong place. If you look at the human species, you will see enormous variations of intelligence, ability, and morphology of humans. Ben Carson is right in pointing out that the current variations in human shape probably exceed the expected morphology of any missing link. Within Africa alone, living often side by side, are the shortest and tallest people in the world. The first skeleton thought to be a "missing link" found in Africa, named Lucy, had 13 ribs but about 10% of people have 13 ribs. I know that this proves nothing but it is food for thought. Perhaps the so-called "missing links" are living amongst us.

I posed the following question to my students after showing them the Ben Carson interview. I asked them if they could think of five ways that the theory of evolution plays a role in their current spinal cord injury research. I said that if they cannot think of anything, then the evolutionary theory is irrelevant and we should stop talking about it. The deep silence that followed my question astounded me. Perhaps I should ask the membership of the CareCure this question.

Wise.