Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: If you have half an hour to spare, here is an interesting interview with Ben Carson

gettinup,

For clarification, are you using as a premise the assertion that black people in America -- as a community -- seem to have a stronger sense of God/religion than white people? That's what I'm getting from it.

If so, I see nothing wrong with it [and I'll give a statistical example to make people happy ]. If not, could you help me out?

-Steven
    ...I like pleasure spiked with pain and music is my aero-plane

Steven, my response has noting to do with white people...it's simply about the Dr. and his inclination to a belief in God in spite of his scientific background.
    Originally posted by Steven Edwards:

gettinup,

For clarification, are you using as a premise the assertion that black people in America -- as a community -- seem to have a stronger sense of God/religion than white people? That's what I'm getting from it.

If so, I see nothing wrong with it [and I'll give a statistical example to make people happy ]. If not, could you help me out?

-Steven
    _...I like pleasure spiked with pain and music is my aero-plane_

I know your response has nothing to do with white people; please allow me to rephrase.

You said that, as a black man, Dr. Carson believing in creationism vs evolution isn't surprising. What are you using as the premise for saying that it's not surprising? Are you asserting/inferring that black people have a strong sense of God/religion and using that as your premise?

-Steven
    ...I like pleasure spiked with pain and music is my aero-plane

Gettinup, first I'd like to apologize. I could have worded my response to you better. I was trying to be as brief as possible so as not to hijack Dr. Young's topic. In all honesty I found your comment about Dr. Carson's race and his beliefs to be racial stereotyping. It made me a little uncomfortable. If that is an emotional response, then so be it. It was in no way meant or even imagined to be a personal attack/name calling against you. If anything was attacked, it was the argument itself, and I've admitted I could have made a better choice of words.

Again, I'm glad you've found us and feel comfortable sharing your views. I hope I haven't discouraged that. I'm sure we'll see each other around. Peace.

Originally posted by gettinup:

however, if you give this some thought and study history you may find that I am right...
    [This message was edited by gettinup on 04-28-04 at 09:01 PM.]
    Chris, agreed. However, it was the above statement made by gettin, specifically "I am right", that took his posting out of the realm of mere statement of opinion. if one is going to make an assertion with the adage it is "right", one should be prepared to back it up with studies, stats, facts, etc. gettin has not done so, so i simply saw no more reason to discuss it.

i have no problem w/differences in opinion; in fact, the world would be pretty boring w/o them but i do see a problem when someone simply states their opinion is right.

NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF RELIGION AND PEOPLES (NARP) et el, 1998:

"...assuredly it would be extremely hard to trac the eginnings of this particular race of people (blacks) as time has erased their beginning. Further religion, rather, a belief in One God, has been traceable to the furthest anthropologic discoveries this commission has been able to discover."

Is this enough for you...now i'm done...the idea here was for you, cass, to research this yourself. And, I didn't just blindly say I was right...I said if you study history you MAY find that i am right.

Martha2,

Intelligence of the hands is something that surgeons know about. There is no way of telling it, except when we see the surgery and the results.

I have a very good neurosurgeon friend whom I think has the best "hands". His operations almost appear bloodless because he anticipates every bleed. He and another neurosurgeon use to show off their scars to each other, each had operated on the other. My friends scar is a big one that extends from just below the lowest rib down to the hip. The other neurosurgeon's scar was small, almost difficult to see. Neurosurgeons have back problems and operate on each other. Well, that small scar is almost a trademark of my friend's operations because he has this uncanny sense of where he is at all times and does absolutely minimal surgery to do what he needs to do, no more and no less. When my friend wants to know whether a surgeon is any good, he flies to the place and watches a surgery.

I don't know, it is like watching an athlete in action. Somehow, the hands know what to do. By the way, a surgeon with "good hands" does not always mean "good judgment" which comes from experience, open-mindedness, and thoughtfulness. There are surgeons who have such superb judgment that their surgical skills are not so important. Likewise, there are surgeons who have superb hands and poor judgment. I have trained many neurosurgeons in my career. You can't tell from the person, their demeanor, or the way they talk. The truly great surgeons combine superb judgment and superb hands.

Wise.

I understand Wise .... my husband just came out of a surgery that I believe had "those" hands...... went to school with the man ....wish he had Dr.Carson's demeanor !!!!!! Ah Life!!!!!

Great interview.... great tie !

Obie

Wise, thanks for taking the time to explain it, and you did a great job of doing so imo.

Originally posted by Wise Young:

Martha2,

Intelligence of the hands is something that surgeons know about. There is no way of telling it, except when we see the surgery and the results.

I have a very good neurosurgeon friend whom I think has the best "hands". His operations almost appear bloodless because he anticipates every bleed. He and another neurosurgeon use to show off their scars to each other, each had operated on the other. My friends scar is a big one that extends from just below the lowest rib down to the hip. The other neurosurgeon's scar was small, almost difficult to see. Neurosurgeons have back problems and operate on each other. Well, that small scar is almost a trademark of my friend's operations because he has this uncanny sense of where he is at all times and does absolutely minimal surgery to do what he needs to do, no more and no less. When my friend wants to know whether a surgeon is any good, he flies to the place and watches a surgery.

I don't know, it is like watching an athlete in action. Somehow, the hands know what to do. By the way, a surgeon with "good hands" does not always mean "good judgment" which comes from experience, open-mindedness, and thoughtfulness. There are surgeons who have such superb judgment that their surgical skills are not so important. Likewise, there are surgeons who have superb hands and poor judgment. I have trained many neurosurgeons in my career. You can't tell from the person, their demeanor, or the way they talk. The truly great surgeons combine superb judgment and superb hands.

Wise.
    kinda like a person who has been playing video games his whole life develope similiar skills.