Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: If you have half an hour to spare, here is an interesting interview with Ben Carson

His original educational background and field is growing up a black man in America. Despite what you state, a more conflicting point about Ben Carson would be that despite his being black he argues support of the theory of evolution without claiming God as the source of all things...I hope that this does not seem argumentative, however, if you give this some thought and study history you may find that I am right...
    Originally posted by cass:

gettin, that was a very strange remark. 1. it's obvious stereotyping, and 2. belief in God and evolution is not mutually exclusive. the interesting point about ben carson is, given his educational background and field, he argues against the theory of evolution.
    [This message was edited by gettinup on 04-28-04 at 09:01 PM.]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gettinup:

His original educational background and field is growing up a black man in America. Despite what you state, a more conflicting point about Ben Carson would be that despite his being black he argues support of the theory of evolution without claiming God as the source of all things...I hope that this does not seem argumentative, however, if you give this some thought and study history you may find that I am right...[QUOTE]

Gettinup, first, welcome to CareCure and thanks for posting.

Maybe I've misunderstood you, but I clearly heard Dr. Carson arguing AGAINST the theory of evolution and FOR God being the source of all things. The idea of bringing race into this discussion at all is repugnant to me, because as a white female "keeping it real" is actually pretty important to me too.

Martha, this was written in reply to Cass, you and Dr. Wise who argue that it is surprising that the Dr. in question argues against evolutinary theory. I do not find it surprising at all. The fat that I inject the Dr.'s race should not be repugnant...maybe your emotional response to this issue should be psycho-analyzed. Especially since all I did was use his race, as a reason that he would argue against the evolutionary theory. So it is understood...I was stating that it would be more of a conflict, or surprise, in my eyes if the Dr., considering his race (black), were a proponent of evolutionary theory. Black people are, and have long been believers in God...this is not too say that blacks have exclusivity in this reasoning but to simply support my reaoning in saying this (the Dr.s belief) is not surprising to me...Oh, and thank you for welcoming me...this site is the best[QUOTE]Originally posted by martha2:

His original educational background and field is growing up a black man in America. Despite what you state, a more conflicting point about Ben Carson would be that despite his being black he argues support of the theory of evolution without claiming God as the source of all things...I hope that this does not seem argumentative, however, if you give this some thought and study history you may find that I am right...

Gettinup, first, welcome to CareCure and thanks for posting.

Maybe I've misunderstood you, but I clearly heard Dr. Carson arguing AGAINST the theory of evolution and FOR God being the source of all things. The idea of bringing race into this discussion at all is repugnant to me, because as a white female "keeping it real" is actually pretty important to me too.

His original educational background and field is growing up a black man in America. Despite what you state, a more conflicting point about Ben Carson would be that despite his being black he argues support of the theory of evolution without claiming God as the source of all things...I hope that this does not seem argumentative, however, if you give this some thought and study history you may find that I am right...[QUOTE]

actually, i have studied history. one of my degrees carries a minor in it. one of my major degrees carries several studies in black writing in America.

i assume your statement means to say it would be more conflicting if he argued as you state above (since you said the opposite of what he did).

i fail to see the relationship between being black and support/non-support of evolution or belief/disbelief of God. do you have statistics/studies to support such an assertion?

and again i will say belief in God and belief in evolution are not mutually exclusive.

and why do you suggest martha should be seen by a psych and that her response is "emotional"? i submit this tells us much more about you and your response.

Cass, no...statistics are not necessary...suffice is to say that Dr. Carson's belief in GOd over the evolutionary theory is quite appropiate...denial of God would be denial of himself...this statement is deeper than what it seems on its face...this is why study of history is necessary...and not just american history, but of history of peoples in general...and no, i did not suggest martha needed a psych...you said that...however, i stand by my assertion that she had an emotional response to my statement...i.e. "...is repugnant to me (martha's post)"

i assumed when you said her emotional response needed to be psycho-analyzed, you meant by an expert.

statistics/studies are necessary when one makes an assertion such as yours regarding blacks; otherwise, it becomes merely your opinion and should be stated as such.

and i have not studied just american history. nor just history. anthropology now seems to be your reference.

but this is pointless as you provide nothing to back your assertion. and....we're hijacking wise's thread...

cass,

I think that the simple act of writing (gettinup's post or anyone's for that matter) is merely a statement of opinion.

Obviously we don't always have to, and rarely do, agree.

Defense, verbal or visual, in cyberspace (internet) is marginal and limited at best imho. It's important to remember when dealing primarily with written sound bites.

No need to take sides. Gettinup has a different perspective than you. Simple. We can all agree to disagree and that's the essence of an open community with varied opinions.

Btw, great interview. Interesting guy (Ben Carson).

Gettinup, it wasn't an emotional response. I just found your argument in this case intellectually lazy.

I can't get Windows Media to work- despite uninstalling/reinstalling several times. I did have Winamp open media for short period but now it doesnt seem to auto open after I tried to install windows media again. AZnyway, is there an URL to this i9nterview, I can enter into winamp? Also, anyone know how I can make winamp the default player? I can't find settings. THX!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "do not be too moral. you may cheat yourself out of much life. aim above morality. be simply not good; be good for something."

Ya know, everytime you speak you make my point. You are being extremely emotional to my response to this subject. Let's get this straight. Dr. Young opened this thread by saying that the interview with the Dr. contained a surprise. Upon watching I found no surprise in the interview (there was another who found no surprise also). SUbsequently, Dr. Young posted that the surprise was/is that the Dr., although a scientist, was/is not a proponent of the theory of evolution, but that rather he has a strong belief in God. I said that I did not find that surprising because the Dr. is a black man. I went on to say that it would have been more conflicting if the Dr. had been a proponent of the theory of evolution despite his being black. I also said the the Dr. is a black man before he is a scientist, consequently his own being trumps any learned philosophy that he may have learned in all his years of schooling that might say there is no god, or lessens the significance of a higher being. Further, I inferred that black people have a long history of believing in God and I said that this belief is not one of exclusivity but rather one that indeed however is intrinsic in the black community...now what did I say wrong...what is so intellectually lazy about this argument? THis is why is refer to your response as emotional...It is because, instead of finding, for instance, that blacks were the original atheists (per say), you simply decided to duck the essence of this argument and call me names...but...sticks and stones...you know the rest.
    Originally posted by martha2:

Gettinup, it wasn't an emotional response. I just found your argument in this case intellectually lazy.