Thread: Spinal Infarct

Spinal Infarct

I was recently informed that as a result of my MVA in 1996, i sustained a Spinal Infarct at T-10 as a result of an Aorto rupture. I'm very interested in receiving as much info as possible on my injury so, it would be appreciated if someone could shed some light on the following: 1) What exactly is a Spinal Infarct? What causes an Aorto (one supplying blood to the spine) to rupture? Any other info relating to this type of injury is also welcome. It would also be great if people with the same type of injury could make themselve's be known. Thank you in advance.

spinal infarct

Shawn - An infarct is an area of cells that necrose or die as the result of no oxygen supply. Oxygen is the basic nutrient to the cells within our body so there is a very rapid deterioration when that supply has been disrupted. Central nervous system cells are far more quickly susceptible to this loss than others within our body.

A spinal infarct, then, means this disruption of oxygen occurred within an area of the spinal cord. This was probably the result of the aortic rupture to which you refer. It would not be uncommon for major vessels to rupture in the trauma of a motor vehicle accident. The structures that are affected are directly related to the vessels that are ruptured and the part of the body that each serves. In many instances, it is this rapid loss of blood, and often an internal loss, that results in a person's death in a MVA. As you probably know, when an artery is severed or ruptured, there is a very rapid loss of blood supply. This is the reason that when this occurs in an extremity the immediate first aid action is to apply a tourniquet to control the loss of blood. CRF

SCI Nurse

Is this most likely to occur immediately after severe trauma or could it possibly be delayed? For instance could several auto accidents build up to this occurrance? Injury, upon injury, then a rupture months later? I am still looking for answers. Kathy

spinal infarct

KDK513 - An infarct is a sudden onset of a blockage/disruption of blood supply to a very small vessel within the circulatory system. It is not something that builds up over time. There could be many causes for an occlusion or reduced blood supply to the point that it has harmful effects. CRF

KDK513 - your question below really got me thinking because, prior to my MVA on the 26/10/96, i was also involved in another MVA in July 1996. Therefore, i suggest you keep looking into the matter because, it's quite possible that more than one accident could lead to a Spinal Infarct.

"For instance could several auto accidents build up to this occurrance? Injury, upon injury, then a rupture months later?"