Thread: Working at home?

Working at home?

Has anyone tried any of those work at home programs? I have been looking for something that I can do out of my home, but I'm hesitant about trying them. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

T-12 incomplete

Depends on what kind of work you like and/or are trained to do.

As a medical transcriptionist, I work at home; I know a lot of accounting can be done from home.

What are your interests/training/background?

I was an electrican before I got hurt so I don't really have any training as far as things that I can do from a chair.
    My family has a big farm and I help out in the spring and fall driving equipment. My dad built a lift that I can stand on with my leg braces to get in and out. The problem is I don't have a lot to do in the down time and I get really bored and would like to make some extra cash.

Can you go back to school? Unless you have a professional degree and the ability to do something on-line, there are few at-home jobs that really provide an income. I know a number of men with SCI who worked in construction trades who went back to school and got an associates degree in construction contracting and estimating. They work as contractors in the field in which they were formerly employees (carpentry, roofing, plumbing, etc. etc.). You could still run this as a home business, but of course would need to be mobile to go out and do estimates, etc. Your state Department of Vocational Rehabilitation should be working with you on a vocational plan and paying for a return to school for you.

(KLD)

Hi John

How about working for a county permit office? You know? The bane of all home do it yourselfers... Can't add a new bathroom or even a screened porch without a permit for all the trades here in Maryland.

Another stop might be the union hall. I'm sure they use someone to keep track of who is an apprentice, journeyman, expert and if they've paid their dues, etc.

Maybe even teach home projects at the local Home Depot and work there parttime in the electrical gadget area.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

I am in the same boat. I had my first appointment with the state vocational rehabilitation Department last week. They seem to have a lot to offer.we will see??

Brian C/5

Having worked on identifying home-based employment opportunities for many years, my unfortunate response is they are few and far between. The only ones I have known to be successful are medical and legal transcription or running an answering service. If you have the manual dexterity to make things, VR might be able to provide you with tools and you can sell fishing lures, miniatures, birdhouses, etc, from your home. Never pay any money up front to earn money at home. These are almost always scams. If you know someone in business that has work you can do at home, VR may not only be able to provide you with equipment; i.e., computer, transcription machine, but can also provide funding for on-the-job training, which would reimburse the employer half your salary during the negotiated training period.