Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has any complete SCI ever walked?

I just posted a study from Italy that described the incidence of ASIA D (walking) in people with ASIA A (complete), B (sensory incomplete), and ASIA C (motor incomplete). Wise.

I should have mentioned the time issue in my post. I have seen people walk out of rehabs who were d/x'd complete at first but started recovering within weeks after injury. What I meant was complete still after going through their initial rehab (1 to 3 months), not just initial spinal shock.

Chick,

Years ago, I'm embarrassed to admit, I used to watch Days of Our Lives (a remnant from an ex-girlfriend and time spent convalescing from my SCI -- really, I swear!).

Soap operas routinely, it seems, have characters who overcome paralysis by dint of hard work, especially when shamed into it. When this "Days" character suddenly sprung up from his wheelchair, I fired a pointed letter to the show's producers. They wouldn't dare create a character who miraculously cured himself of AIDS as a mere result of attitude readjustment and grit teeth. But you see, we all suffer from hysterical paralysis, so it really is our fault that we're not walking.

And this Web site will certainly make you sit up, and then spit up.

Sit Tall Stand Tall

[This message was edited by Stephen NYC on 03-25-04 at 02:38 PM.]

[This message was edited by Stephen NYC on 03-25-04 at 03:23 PM.]

Of course Wise can answer the question better than any of us.

I would think if after 2 years you had NO sensation and NO movement then you wouldn't walk again without the intervention of a yet to be 'perfected' therapy.

I do know of one person (as I have mentioned several times) who was told he was complete - left rehab after a few months still 'complete' - 18 months after his accident he moves his leg to stop himself falling out of his chair - back to rehab.

I met him and I didn't know he'd been injured until he said it's terrible being in a wheelchair, isn't it? (of course, I said "no I love it.")

Thanks for the feedback, I guess some people are luckier than others. Or maybe it depends on your state of mind.

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee:

I should have mentioned the time issue in my post. I have seen people walk out of rehabs who were d/x'd complete at first but started recovering within weeks after injury. What I meant was complete still after going through their initial rehab (1 to 3 months), not just initial spinal shock.
    How long last a spinal shock?

StephenNYC - Brady Black?

It didn't bother me much back then, because it was before my SCI

Becky - a pt cannot look at films and say if a patient is complete.

Shane Donovan.

They wouldn't dare create a character who miraculously cured himself of AIDS as a mere result of attitude readjustment and grit teeth.
    This belief is often applied to people with cancer too. If you're strong and have faith, you will beat it. Does that mean that all of those who've succumbed to the ravishes of cancer were simply weak willed?

I hate that implication when it's applied to us and others with chronic, irreversible conditions.

Shane was before my time. It happened to Brady too after Roman shot him.