• No

17 27.87%
  • 0 0%
  • 0 0%
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Jobs for Disabled people

Jobs for Disabled people

Have any of you experience any trouble at getting a job with you being disabled?

I've been on dozens of interviews and finally got a "job developer." The only thing he found was, by talking to company heads, that people would not hire me because of possible insurance costs. I was therefore determined to "unreasonable to find work" and not allowed any further assistance.

Live life as you see fit, not as the world says.

Originally posted by trainman
    The only thing he found was, by talking to company heads, that people would not hire me because of possible insurance costs.
    I do believe that is against the law.

-Lewis

being disabled doesnt stop u from getting a job, being under qualifiied and lack of education stop u from getting a job.

my healthcare costs my co. exactley the same as any other 30 yo male

Ja,

I've only had three jobs in nearly 31 yrs of disability. Disablity wasn't an issue in getting two of them. However, I was once unemployed for two years, seeking a high level executive position matching my education and experience. After being in the "top three" candidates on eight occassions and still not landing a job, I went back to clinical work. On many occasions, I knew the other candidates and knew that I was as qualified if not slightly more qualified. So, I guess what I'm saying is that I "can " get a job, but there "is" a "glass ceiling"

Lewis

I think I posted this somewhere else, but I'll restate it. The company heads the developer talked to were not looking to hire me, they didn't even know who I was.

If that was the reason another company did not hire me, it would be hard to prove. They could say less qualified/experience etc.

Live life as you see fit, not as the world says.

Actually, being disabled has a lot to do with not getting a job because companies dont want to have to deal with possible law suits. I know stupid as it sounds, but its probably true.
    Originally posted by fuentejps:

being disabled doesnt stop u from getting a job, being under qualifiied and lack of education stop u from getting a job.

my healthcare costs my co. exactley the same as any other 30 yo male

I don't think this is a fair question to ask. How could you know if your disability caused difficulty in landing a job? I've worked for two companies in 10 years - one huge, one tiny. My disability never entered the picture. I've also applied for jobs that I didn't get. I don't feel that my disability played a role whatsoever. Why would a disabled person be more apt to file a lawsuit?

In the end, if you are qualified, diligent, and demonstrate ability you will be hired. The likelihood that you will experience discrimination at some level is likely.

I know of at least two separate times that my disability put me ahead of the pack when taken into consideration for positions.

It all depends on who is doing the hiring, what the job is, and timing.

BTW I'm a c5/6 quad, injured for 21 years. Have a bacelors in finance with an econ minor, and a law degree.

My advice. Follow your dreams . . . and do what you love.

What we do in life echoes in eternity. Maximus - Gladiator

It is a fair question. It doesnt have to pertain to everyone that is why i put yes or no. The reason that I am doing a poll is because I am doing a Proposal for a class and I havent had much luck with landing a job. I found out that one company hasnt hired someone who is disabled for 5 yrs now.

As for your question, because disabled person can be mistreated by their boss or fellow co-worker.

Originally posted by Clipper:

I don't think this is a fair question to ask. How could you know if your disability caused difficulty in landing a job? I've worked for two companies in 10 years - one huge, one tiny. My disability never entered the picture. I've also applied for jobs that I didn't get. I don't feel that my disability played a role whatsoever. Why would a disabled person be more apt to file a lawsuit?