Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Does it matter?

I think it does matter, The way I understand it the higher the injury, the less function you have.
    I am very fortunate to be a T-12, I can walk, and full use of my arm's. but even with that there are alot of thing's I can't do now that do frustrate me,No balance, feet onfire and feel like they are asleep all the time,and not being able to feel different places that are numb. But it's just a matter of getting your mindset adjusted to what you can do. plus loosing control of your bowel's and bladder, from what I have read I think that this is a common thing with about all spine injuries. Which I went through a traing center it helped a little but by no means am I cured. but just thought I would put in my thought's and say that I AM VERY LUCKY!

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

The main difference to me when it comes to injury levels are the points between high quadriplegic and low quadriplegic and between low quadriplegic and paraplegic. These two points roughly coincide with how dependent you are on others. As a low quad I can feed myself and do some basic tasks so at least I'm not dependent on someone else 24 hours a day. However, I still need someone to help me get in or out of bed, dressed/undressed, and for bowels and bladder care. If I had my hands then I could be totally independent. Sure there are still bowel and bladder issues and accidents but at least then I could do them by myself and clean myself up when necessary. For me that would also be a critical improvement in terms of self-worth and depression issues.

Okay, it was me who said that...and I wasn't talking about quality of life issues. I was talking about mentally...acceptance, more than anything. How hard it is to just say, "Okay, this is how it is," and suck it up and deal with it. Sen's right...adjustment is what I was referring to.

I'm not deaf...I'm just ignoring you!

Not to belittle paras, but being completely stripped of your independence leaves a sense of worthlessness that can be very hard to deal with.

People deal with things differently. I have come to realize just how self-centered most people are, including myself. But, I listen when people bitch and try not to judge. Instead of saying "walk a mile in my shoes," I'd like to say "sit a day in my chair."

I guess the main point I was trying to make is that adjustment is difficult for all of us, regardless of level. I wasn't trying to belittle anybody either, and I hope I didn't come across that way. I just know I've seen quads who are (or at least seem) a whole lot more adjusted than I am, in less time, and here I am, still trying to deal with it in a lot of ways even after 6.5 years. Adjustment is difficult no matter what your level is. I guess that's all I was really trying to say. Apologies if I offended anybody.

I'm not deaf...I'm just ignoring you!

Complete/incomplete!! Shit is Shit! Doesnt matter what form,color or texture it comes in,ya dont wanna hav'ta deal with it shit is shit!!

hav'ta!!is that even a word

''Shoot the protester ya cant stop the protest.Murder the rebel ya cant stop the rebellion''..

The only saving grace (for lack of a better term) of being a male quad is we are able to still get erections.

I'd trade that for being an independant para anyday.

It's the indignity and embarassment of needing help with every little thing that, in part, makes life so hard.

SCI is the cruelist of fates... Regardless of level/function - Life is a far cry from what it was...

Liz's proverb is very true.

Originally posted by Shaun:

Complete/incomplete!! Shit is Shit! Doesnt matter what form,color or texture it comes in
    This shows how truly ignorant and inconsiderate some of our own members are. The level of completeness can mean everything...especially when function is involved. Patches of sensation can be written off by some as insignificant, but being ASIA A versus ASIA C/D/E can be an exponential difference in physical quality of life.

I know all SCIs suck, but some do suck worse than others. Somebody can have my hard ons and unflaccid legs...give me my hands, triceps, and a little dignity in return.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cjo:

This shows how truly ignorant and inconsiderate some of our own members are. QUOTE]

Yes cjo i fully understand that my friend a t12 incomplete has it easier than my 5/6 complete ass! He also goes through shit of his own,thats all i meant.Thanks for pointing out my ignorance though it's appreciated.Have great day!

''Shoot the protester ya cant stop the protest.Murder the rebel ya cant stop the rebellion''..

Every slight degree of recovered function enhances quality of life. That's why people go to China, hoping to recover hand function. I wish I had a dollar for everyone who has said, "If only I had my hands and triceps".

Some people cope with things and I don't know how they do it. Some don't. That seems to be relate to personalities, not disabilities.

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000