Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Does it matter?

awe chick just wanted to say i hope it gets better soon.

Even if your body cannot move, you can still think and meditate ~Dalai Lama~

hey, would just like to ask chick....have you ever gone by nick chairchick?

Thanks to all those who've extended well wishes. I do appreciate your thoughts.

I only posted that incident as it related to this thread.

It is a shame that a couple other members decided to detract from the thread and make this about 'chick's motivation' for posting on CC, rather than remain on november's topic.

It was interesting question, nov, and not one that hasn't been asked before. But given the extreme discomfort that just this discussion triggered in some people, I think that that makes it still an interesting and pretty provocative issue.

Awe, Marshmellow,
    Hope your feeling better!!!!
    Jimmy Mack

Originally posted by november:

After reading a post by another member in a thread I started wondering who else feels that incomplete/complete and level of injury doesn't matter? That how hard it is on someone has nothing to do with their level of injury.
    Oh my... lots to read through and respond.

Regarding whether injury level and completeness matter... of course, all other things being equal, that question would be a no-brainer. However, usually there are a lot of other factors that impact on a person's experience, namely things like money, insurance, family and environmental supports. That being said, I could see how in many ways a para who starts out with nothing and has to work his way out of a nursing home before getting to college might in many ways have more obstacles to deal with than an independently wealthy, socially advantaged quad. Not sure if someone's brought that up already; sorry if I'm being redundant.

Hope you heal soon, Chick.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world...is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

quote CJO "All SCIs suck. All people with SCIs are unlucky. The statement that sparked this debate was one that dealt with dealing with the mental aspects of the injury, not the physical. Yes, we all need to work together(even though there are many people here that don't believe in, or want a cure). I understand that.

What I don't understand is why some of those people in better situations get defensive when they are told that they have it better. Function is everything to some people, and some, CR for example, are very happy to feel the touch of loved ones. I get great satisfaction in the fact that my ankle hurts now. Call me crazy...I like the pain in a part of my body I thought was dead.

Chris2 - ask Steve if he'd rather be a complete C5 or a T12."

Steve's dead I'm sad to say

I can't say i know to much about the medical terminology and I'm still really new to this. I was told I had a C4/5 complete injury. I was pulled out of the pool unable to move or feel anything below my shoulders, and nothing changed after months of rehab. I know some complete SCIs who got some minimal movement or feeliing back,but I never did. I don't know if it would have been much better if it was an incomplete injury, but I wouldn't guess it could be any worse than this.

Well, I'm a t6 complete and I've always felt lucky that I'm para, & even more lucky that I'm complete because I can't feel any pain below my injury & I don't have some bladder or some bowel, it would really complicate things. I know exactly when, where & how everything works and I like it that way. I feel lucky to be complete. The only downfall I feel is completes will be the last to benefit from surgery. Incompletes have the advantage of cure sooner so that's a bonus if you're incomplete. Most trials won't even look at a complete.

As to how hard it is on someone having nothing to do with level of injury, well that's absurd, of course it does. I won't even waste more space on that one.