Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Does it matter?

Does it matter?

After reading a post by another member in a thread I started wondering who else feels that incomplete/complete and level of injury doesn't matter? That how hard it is on someone has nothing to do with their level of injury.

Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--unknown

incomplete/complete is a diagnosis.
    i think it matters to the doctors/nurses/therapists who treat you immediately following injury.
    i don't think it matters much in the daily course of someone's life after rehab.

i think it definately matters what level of function you are, but i also think it matters how you deal with it. if i was a para, it would totaly change things because i could use my hands or if i could just stand for a second i wouldn't have to use my slide board, etc, etc. i think people who say it doesn't really matter are usually very incomplete. of course there's things about sci that are common in everyone, but to say a full quad and an incomplete para are experiencing the same issues is just plain ridiculous to me. just my 2 cents

Even if your body cannot move, you can still think and meditate ~Dalai Lama~

Every injury is different and I would not get too hung up on incomplete versus complete.

PN

I think I need to be more clear with my question. I wasn't really asking about complete vs incomplete, I know the difference. I think Bridget understood what I meant. I was asking opinions of individuals whether they think quads vs paras or higher injuries vs lower injuries matter. I personally think the higher the injury the harder it probably will be and level of injury has a lot to do with how your daily course of life is.

Like I said before someone in another post pointed out that level of injury doesn't matter. How can you honestly say/think it doesn't???

Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--unknown

Are you referring to the ability to cope or quality of life issues? As far as coping, the level or degree of injury doesn't seem to matter much. There are high quad's who have adjusted better than low para's. It definitely matters when it comes to quality of life issues. Ones functional level makes all the difference in the world.

Originally posted by seneca:

Are you referring to the ability to cope or quality of life issues? As far as coping, the level or degree of injury doesn't seem to matter much. There are high quad's who have adjusted better than low para's. It definitely matters when it comes to quality of life issues. Ones functional level makes all the difference in the world.
    Quality of life Sen.

let me start off by saying that i'm a quad, but i regained JUST enough function to be fully independent. the ability to move one thumb and first two fingers on one hand has made a huge advantage in my independence and i feel very blessed to have that. maybe level of injury it doesn't affect coping as much as it does everyday, run-of-the-mill activities. i know how it feels to attempt to pick up a burrito and have it fall everywhere and people look at you like you're mentally disabled because your wrists and hands fit the stereotypes. so yea, it does matter and i've learned not to take the abilities i DO have for granted, but also not to patronize someone who has less physical ability due to an sci less than an inch higher than mine. some struggles are mutual from quad to para to "walking" sci, other struggles are inversely proportional to physical ability.

Godspeed...

An old proverb:

Paras want to be AB
    quads want to be paras

Every level wants just a little more. I recall an inc c7 at rehab while I was still learning to sit up w/o fainting. Questioning, will I be able to tie my shoes again?
    The inevitable. No, I can't tie a shoe, so I wear slip-ons. Does it matter? Only to the individual.

Envy....isn't it a sin?

Complete v incomplete can be worlds apart depending on how incomplete the person is.

Talking quality of life - Think of how huge the advantage is if the person has B&B control, for example.

I dont want to stray into the AB v para v quad hierarchy debate but it's a similar concept. So I definitely agree with Bridget on this. Way too often I have felt lazy or like an underachiever when I hear what someone who has my lesion level has accomplished only to find out later they are incomplete and able to do 'naturally' what I cant.