Thread: chair to fit my needs?

chair to fit my needs?

I am currently fighting the battle of how to get my butt around town independently. I am c5/6, functioning a lil lower. I transfer to my car (that is no problem), break down the chair(quickieti), and pull it in over me. This takes me FOREVER. The thing is...I have enough function as to where I don't have to drive from my chair, and would like to keep it that way( and keep my car). I'm so warn out after the struggle to get it in, that I'm wiped out.I just know there is an easier route. I KNOW THERE IS! I don't know if I need a different chair. If so, what are the alternate light weight options for a gurl with no abs what-so-ever? My current chair has a 70 degree angle on the front...making it that much wider to squeeze through the car door. Are there any folding chairs that are sleek, light, as well as being compact? When I ordered mine I had no clue what I was doing...I know I know shouldn't of ordered titanium chair for my first...ya live, ya learn..hindsight...bla bla bla. It is a great chair, tuff as nails, light as a feather, AS GOOD AS GOLD$$$$.
    Is there anyone else out there, similar to my level, that tranfers and breaks down to drive? If so, what chair or special tricks are you doing that I am not? I've got to get back to being the independent woman that I am!--err was.I'm kickin butts and taking names with the hand controls...now, if only I didn't have to get out to do anything.

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

Hi Amanda,
    I can't get my rigid chair in by myself but I've got a second folding chair. In my car I have an elevator system for that folding chair that can be operated with one finger.

Originally posted by Amanda:

My current chair has a 70 degree angle on the front...making it that much wider to squeeze through the car door.
    I dont know if you tried this already, but maybe try to drag it in lengthwise instead of sideways? After taking the wheels off my chair, the chair ends up on its side on the ground next to me, I then haul it in casters first, and it ends up upside down on the passenger seat with the casters towards the seatback. One mostly smooth motion, with the only clearance issues involving the casters to the car roof when passing it over me.

I ordered a new wheelchair last month, first one in ten years.

I tried a rigid chair for the first time and didn't realize these things could be comfortable. Tough part is, no way could I get that thing in my car easily and I am strong!

I had to revert to ordering another darn clone of a folding Quickie 2HP. I hate the thing but it works well to get into my car.

If there's a Quickie rep reading this .. 18.5yrs and no technological advances in making the folding ones light, tapered with a fixed foot platform, etc!?!?!? Put some attention back on the folding .. there's enough of a choice in rigid for now.

You have to really get it down to a system putting a Rigid Chair into a Car. For years I used a Quadra Aluminum Rigid Chair (Was one of the first rigid chairs in 1981) and I use to take both wheels off and put them behind the drivers seat and then lift the frame, tilt it at a 90 degree angle while at the same time twisting it and put it upside down behind the passenger seat.

After eight years of doing this I got sick of it and got a Quickie IIHp (folding aluminum chair) and simply removed the cushion put on the back seat and folded the chair (with the wheels on) and stowed the chair behind the passenger seat. It was so much easier when I got the folding chair.

I agree with Lynn though in that I wish they would upgrade the conventional folding chairs with newer and lighter technology, the IIhp weighs 23 lbs which is kind of heavy, although it is a bargain for 1200 dollars. I ended up trying out a ti lite x folding chair and hated it and went back to the IIhp. It weighs about the same as the IIhp but the problem is I was not comfortable at all in the lite x.

It became even easier for me to get the Q2HP into my GMC Sonoma when I got that, it has a 3rd door and I simply open the third door on the drivers side and put the folding chair behind the drivers seat. The 2 wheel drive S trucks are fairly low too so the height should not be a problem. It is great too because the doors are fairly short on this truck so I very rarely get blocked in when someone parks close to me.

Minivans with the power slider behind the drivers seat work great for this purpose too. Just fold the chair, hit the power sliding door button and stowe the chair behind the drivers seat, then close the slider. Very simple and fast way of getting the chair in the vehicle.

RIGID IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO. GET A COLOURS ECLIPSE IT HAS A 90 DEGREE FRT ENT EASSY TO THROW IN OUT OF CAR, IM A INC C4-5, THE QUAD QUICK RELEASE AXLES REALY HELP W/ MY LIMITED HAND FUNCTION
    I USE A NON FOLDING BACK AS WELL, AND ITS STILL EASY TO PUT IN/OUT OF MY INTREPID

hey amanda im pretty much in the same boat that you are when i first started driving. i drive a full size chevrolet z71 pickup truck now but when i started driving and getting used to everything i had a car and i bought a quickie REVOLUTION. it is a folding rigid frame chair. the legs fold under the chair and the back folds down. i hope this helps......chad

Thanks everybody for the input...I'll have to try the tips and check out the chairs.

Chad- Are you a quad? How the heck do you get yo butt up in the truck? I had an SUV and had to get rid of it because I couldn't get that high and then proceed to get the chair up that high.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Amanda, yes im a quad. ive got a lift that raises me up the same height of the seat in the truck,then i have a crane type of lift to put the chair in the back of the truck. its a pretty neat set up......chad

Originally posted by Amanda:

Thanks everybody for the input...I'll have to try the tips and check out the chairs.
    Amanda-It's a big step to trade if you have 4door car-but it's MUCH easier to drag it into back of 2doorWR

Chad- Are you a quad? How the heck do you get yo butt up in the truck? I had an SUV and had to get rid of it because I couldn't get that high and then proceed to get the chair up that high.

Franklin D. Roosevelt