Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite movie of all time?

Originally posted by Brad_D:

If I had to pick just one, it would be "The Matrix." Several others come in a close second.
    Brad I finally saw The Matrix and The Matrix Reloaded this weekend. I'm getting ready to watch The Matrix again while the kids are gone.

Did you really get into it? There's SO MUCH happening in that first movie, so many different levels of meaning, including theology. My sister is a major computer geek and was explaining bit to me, but she and her husband were Matrix nuts.

I'd be interested in hearing what others thought too.

Arthur

If I can see it, then I can do it. If I believe it, there's nothing to it.

Martha,

The Matrix is one of those movies that people love or hate. The F/X are great, but the movie goes far beyond that. I've seen them several times, and each time I picked up another layer of meaning be it philosophy, religion, control, purpose, love, choice, belief, truth, faith, meaning, and "what is reality?" It's all there and more. Lots of foreshadowing and clues in the journey just like "Alice in Wonderland."

If you're a "computer geek" and understand the concept, it really makes you think on many different levels. A lot of people don't get it, but if you do "get it," it makes you really want to look further.
    pt, it really makesyou think on many different levles.

Brad, glad you saw my post. I'm not a computer geek but my sister and her husband are. She was able to explain some of it to me on that level. Like you I could see so many excellent principles about religion (very reformed), philosophy, the power of choice, truth, fate/destiny, control ... I've thought about it a lot over the last few days. Just finished watching #1 for the second time.

I picked up on many messages relevant to SCI. My favorite is when Neo and Morpheus are Kung Fu fighting. Neo says, "You're faster than me." Then Morpheus asks, "Do you think my speed and strength have anything to do with my muscles?"

It's the power of the mind, of attitude. I thought about so many people here who've learned that valuable truth about life. I need to learn it for myself as well.

Some of my favorite line are:

Choi-"Hallelujah. You're my savior, man. My own personal Jesus Christ."
    Neo- If you get caught using that...
    Choi-I know. This never happened. You don't exist.

"Do you think that's air your breathing?"

Don't think you are know you are.
    "Stop trying to hit me and hit me"

"The Matrix is the world pulled over you're eyes to blind you from the truth."

Morpheous-...their strength and their speed are still based in a world that is built on rules. Because of that, they will never be as strong or as fast as you can be."
    Neo-What are you trying to tell me? That I can dodge bullets?
    Morph.- No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.

Many more here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133093/quotes

Thanks for the quotes Brad. Awesome.

What did you think of the third movie? I haven't seen it but my sister says she was disappointed.

I LOVED "Reloaded"--it happened to come on HBO about an hour after I finished watching #1. So I got saturated in The Matrix last weekend. Loved every second of it.

Stand by Me
    Grease ( our 3 year old watches it over and over)
    Dirty Dancing
    Tombstone
    The Patriot ( Mel Gibson)
    All the Lethel Weapon Movies
    Nine Months
    Both Father of the Bride movies

My favorite of all time is "Lonesome Dove." It's six hours long and that tends to scare people away but it's time well spent. I know I've watched it about 100 times.

If I ever have a son, his name is going to be Augustus. After you watch this movie, you'll understand why.

"It ain't dying I'm talkin' about.........it's living!" - Augustus McCrae

Brad, a question about The Matrix. Is the reason they all wear sunglasses during the day is that they can finally "see" and it hurts their eyes? Remember Neo saying his eyes hurt and Morpheus saying it's because you're not used to using them?

If that's so, then why do the agents wear glasses too? Because they can "see" as well but are the bad guys?

Wheelhorse, I've probably seen Lonesome Dove 100 times too. What a great story. Augustus ... what a man!

Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones portrayed those characters beautifully.

Originally posted by martha2:

...What did you think of the third movie? I haven't seen it but my sister says she was disappointed.
    I certainly liked the first one the best because you were along on the same ride as Neo was. Revolutions was good, but by then you understood the concept and knew more of what to expect and that sense of awe was not as "virgin" as the first. It still made you think just as the other two, and if you don't pay close attention, you may miss some important ideas.