Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Favorite movie of all time?

Overall - book and film...across the board.... To Kill a Mockingbird...to me it was a perfect film...I have always liked narratives.

Historical romance...Dr Zhivago...had the biggest impact on me...it introduced conflict to my life.... I was always very conflicted after seeing this film. I loved the purity of Geraldine Chaplin and the strength and passion of Julie Christie. I could see it over and over. I loved the how it was woven.

For pure passion.... Body Heat...I remember I spent $80.00 on a vintage soundtrack album about 15 years later...for years I was obsessed with William Hurt.

Lorenzo's Oil and Shawshank Redemption...I would want to watch both of these again. To me they were excellent screenplays...these films are flawless.

Brad, been wanting to tell you ... I CAN'T get into Matrix Revolutions. I've tried a few times and lose interest. What do you think the difference is? I know we talked about how in the first one, we're watching the story unfold with Neo, and the second one was just as exciting. I may try again this weekend, but I wanted you to know that I still hadn't watched the whole thing yet.

Piela, yes, To Kill a Mockingbird I believe is the perfect movie ... and the book puts GWTW to shame.

I want them to remake Mockingbird. I love it but--I read the book again recently, and then watched the movie, and I think there's a lot of amazing stuff that got left out.

Example: remember Miss Maudie in the book? A woman way, way ahead of her time. Independent, smart, funny, quirky--in the film she's just a nice lady who happens to be a neighbor.

Of course, it's hard to imagine anybody replacing Gregory Peck . . . any ideas?

Kate, finding a replacement for Peck in TKAM would be like trying to find one for Gable in GWTW.

Johnny Depp maybe? That harnassed intensity and passion? Those penetrating dark brown eyes?

Wonder if Richard Gere could pull it off. Hmmm.

Gotta think some more about this one.

Originally posted by martha2:

Brad, been wanting to tell you ... I CAN'T get into Matrix Revolutions. I've tried a few times and lose interest. What do you think the difference is? I know we talked about how in the first one, we're watching the story unfold with Neo, and the second one was just as exciting. I may try again this weekend, but I wanted you to know that I still hadn't watched the whole thing yet...
    The main thing is that in Revolutions, you learn that Neo and Smith are opposites. Smith is Neo's negative as a result of the equation trying to balance itself.

(Remember what the Architect said to Neo in Reloaded about how the Matrix was a harmony of mathematical precision and that Neo's life is the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the Matrix.)

The Oracle tells Neo that the fate of both worlds will lie in either his hands or in Smith's. Smith believes that the purpose of all life is to end it, in and out of the Matrix and he will stop at nothing to accomplish this.

In the process, Neo makes a deal for peace with the machines when he gets to the source (the Machine City.) Neo realizes that the only way to stop Smith from destroying the Matrix and everyone plugged into it is to sacrifice himself. When Neo is copied into Smith this allows the machines destroy Smith and every copy of him as well, thus saving the Matrix and stopping the war which saves Zion as well. In the end the Matrix was "reloaded" or rebooted to the next version in which anyone in it who wants out will be freed. Neo has done what no one prior to him has done before.

Looking between the lines...If the Matrix is destroyed (which we all think is going to happen...Then what happens to everyone that is still plugged in?) There are billions of people. Some don't like this ending, but I can't end any other way without the human race being destroyed. I hope this helps.

1) Watching Yoda own dooku in EPII.
    2) Watching Paris get totaled in Armageddon.
    3) "At my signal, unleash hell"
    4) when Neo awakens from The Matrix for the first time
    5) "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... TAA DA DA DA.... etc..."

Kate, I would hate to see a remake of To Kill a Mockingbird...it is such a classic and so much purely a product of its time. If they felt they had to, I could see Tom Hanks in the GP role though (it certainly would be a challenge to any actor!).

Went to a sneak preview of the new Steven Spielberg film (staring Tom Hanks) called "The Terminal" last night. I really enjoyed it and can highly recommend it. I believe it opens the end of next week.

I also heard some people there talking about a sneak they attended of "The Notebook" (James Garner and Genna Rowlands) and am looking forward to this film.

(KLD)

St Elmo's Fire

I have a number of other faves but St. Elmo's is the one that I could never get tired of watching. To Kill a Mockingbird--The only English reading assignment I actually wanted to & almost finished way back in HS(I did finish it later on)...Great story!!!

'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

Kate, I would hate to see a remake of To Kill a Mockingbird...it is such a classic and so much purely a product of its time. If they felt they had to, I could see Tom Hanks in the GP role though (it certainly would be a challenge to any actor!).

Went to a sneak preview of the new Steven Spielberg film (staring Tom Hanks) called "The Terminal" last night. I really enjoyed it and can highly recommend it. I believe it opens the end of next week.

I also heard some people there talking about a sneak they attended of "The Notebook" (James Garner and Genna Rowlands) and am looking forward to this film.

(KLD)
    They probably would remake To Kill a Mockingbird and Tom Hanks would be ok...it just could not compare though...there is another actor that reminds me more of Gregory Peck and that would be...the actor that was in the Big Chill and later starred in the Dinosaur Movie that Spielberg made and he was in the remake of The Fly...and I always forget his name. He would be like a surreal Gregory Peck...yes I am speaking of Geoff Goldblum...that is his name.

Did you ever see the original The Fly? It was made in the early sixties...oh Lord...I had nightmares of that film for decades...I must have seen it when I was about 6 or 7...I think my brother took me by accident...Honestly I lost years of sleep from that film.

I am so looking forward to this film...I saw previews of this film...and oh! It looks fantastic...it reminded me of "Splendor in the Grass" with Warren Beatty and Natalie Wood...did you ever see this film...?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Piela:

there is another actor that reminds me more of Gregory Peck and that would be...the actor that was in the Big Chill [QUOTE]

The Big Chill.....

Another all time favorite of mine...

'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03