Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Favorite movie of all time?

Sunglasses play one of those interesting little roles in these movies. It's kind of like "the eyes are the window to your soul" and the shades are worn to "hide" or conceal themselves while they're in the matrix. The only time Neo deliberately removes them, is when he meets the Oracle and then puts them back on when he is confronted by Smith. Also he removes them to convince Persephone with a kiss for his love of Trinity. Smith does this a few times in the first one when he interrogates Neo and the again when he tries to persuade Morpheous. It's almost a way of showing submission and a way to let their guard down.

Neo's eyes hurt, because he never used them in the "real world" up to that point. He was enslaved in a pod like everyone else by the machines and was plugged in living his life in a computer generated dream world: i.e. the Matrix. He was completely unaware that he was not living in reality up to that point. What seems more desirable? Living a rich but false reality in the Matrix or living in the "desert" of the real world? That is the crux of the movie. Questioning what is reality.

My Favourites

Beautiful Girls

Gladiator.

X - You watched Gods must be Crazy ... I didn't even know it was released outside of SA. Cool.

----
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "$#*&, what a trip!"

Thanks Brad. Your explanation immediately made me think about that scene in the subway station when Neo and Agent Smith are fighting. Neo slams Smith and breaks his sunglasses--and you can see one eye exposed. A little foreshadowing to his imminent vulnerability--with the train and in the very end.

There you go. That's another one I forgot about.

Ok, Brad, one last question ... or we're going to have to start our own topic.

In Matrix #1 Neo wears that long black London Fog coat. Very sexy. In #2 his coat has the obvious cut and look of a Roman Catholic priest's cassock (think that's what it's called). All he needed was the white tab in the collar and a rosary. Of course it's more religious imagery but I was struck by the transition from swaggering London Fog Neo to the Kung Fu, kick ass holy man Neo. Any comments?

It can certainly be viewed as religious imagery. Good observation. Neo is humanities' savior, just as Jesus was. You'll see in the last one.

How many Action/Adventure/SiFi/KungFu movies have the hero fighting in a stylish trench coat? It has it own unique style to it. A lot in this movie is left to interpretation for the audience to decide what to make of it. It's not all spoon fed like in some other movies. As the Oracle says "you'll just have to make up your own damn mind"

Cool Brad. Thanks. The Oracle is right.

BTW, probably the only reason I picked up on the different coats was that I watched the movies back to back within a couple of hours of each other. And (ahem) naturally Keanu Reeves received the bulk of my attention.

One more comment ... Hugo Weaverling the actor who plays Agent Smith did the voice of the foreboding father sheepdog in the "Babe" movies.

I don't know ... hmmm, kinda wish I didn't know that. Sort of took something away from Agent Smith's invulnerable character.

The Oracle is right.
    Of course she is, she knows everything. She wouldn't be much of an Oracle if she didn't.

Brad! My children gave me Matrix Revolutions for Mother's Day.

Gotta wait until they're in bed tonight to watch it. I'll tell you what I think.

Very Cool. My mom isn't into this kind of movie, so I got her Orchids instead.

I'm here ready to answer any of your questions.