Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you read in bed (quadriplegics)?

How do you read in bed (quadriplegics)?

I enjoy reading and many times when I am in bed waiting to fall asleep I have tried to think of ways that I could read in bed. I have come across some devices that seem expensive and have often wondered their effectiveness. Anyways, anyone buy anything to aid them in reading in bed or make something themselves by using stuff from the hardware store?

My injury level is C5 complete. Thank you for any ideas!

-Lewis

i know my local library has books that you download. can you use your computer in bed? it may be an option, as would books on cd.

Well, most of the books I would like to be reading are often school and technical computer books. These are books you just don't find on CD. Also, my computer is a desktop.

-Lewis

If you have an over-bed table you can use a book stand to prop up the book so that you can read while you are lying down.

There look like some reasonably priced book stand options like this for example:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...19009?v=glance

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world...is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

i put a big pillow under my book.

I have been checking out a lot of books on tape and CD from the local library lately. I find it works as a sleeping pill for me and I don't get awakened by a book falling in my face. It does take a while to finish a book. Not much help for the technical books though.
    I'm not a quadriplegic so don't blast me to hard.

prism glasses. just imagine the way one sees out of a submarine.

here's a list of other reading aids.

good luck!

joy
    "Now the only healthy way to live, as I see it, is to learn to like all the little every day things."
    ~ Gus McCrae

Lewis: One xmas my brother-in-law bought me a mini easel..he uses his for music but bought it for me on the off chance i could use it to read..it works great in bed but you need to put flat surface under it..this one is 10 inches wide by roughly 8 inches high..i'm sure you could buy all different sizes..

[This message was edited by Bob on 02-02-04 at 09:02 AM.]

Here's a side view so you can get an idea on the adjustment.

My father made me a reading stand that works in bed or sitting in my chair. Basically it is a lap desk, but the tray is angled about 35-40 degrees to make it easier to read. It is made of white pine so that is very light with a Styrofoam beanbag cushion on the bottom so that it sits on my lap or my hip when I am lying on my side in bed. Mine was made from scratch, but you could probably get someone to make you one by using a lap desk and a light wooden breakfast tray from a craft store. Just glue a couple of pieces of pine to attach the tray to the lap desk at the appropriate angle.