Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: easy pivot vs ?

easy pivot vs ?

i'm in need of lift. is the easy pivot the best. i have had the traditional hoyer type with no luck.

thanks jack

Lifts

Jack, there are many different brands and types of lifts. What problem did you have with the Hoyer brand? Which model did you use? What surfaces (floor type) do you need to transfer across? Where do you need to transfer (bed, toilet, shower or tub, other furniture, car, etc.)? Do you own your own home? Do you travel?

The Easy Pivot is a nice transfer device for some, but it does have its drawbacks. You must be able to fully weight bear in your legs. If you should have a fracture due to osteoporosis in the future, you would not be able to use this lift while it heals. You must also have good ROM in ankles, hips and knees to use it. It can also take some getting used to, and I find some people find that extreme positions used a little scary. It can be transported for travel, but is pretty bulky. (KLD)

i think it was a hoyer partner lift. you still have to be lifted up in w/c and also to get sling out. i transfer from bed to w/c and w/c to bed. any suggestions.

Hi Jack!

If you had problems getting the sling out after transfering, you may have had the wrong kind of sling. Lots of slings you're not supposed to sit on - some of these will work with the Hoyer, I hope?

Slings

Yes, we use the Hoyer Partner lift on our SCI unit and clinic, and only carry the type of slings that leave your buttocks "hanging out" (I can get the model numbers if you need them). This requires no lifting except of each leg as you put the sling in place either in bed or in the wheelchair. We do not recommend sitting in the sling all day as this can lead to skin breakdown. It is also important to have the correct size. Hoyer makes 4 sizes for these slings (small, medium, large and extra large) and the size should be selected on the size of your buttocks, not your overall weight.

still!!!!!

the partner sling i have the buttocks hang out. i still have to be pulled up straight in chair. they are more trouble than they're worth.

what's the preferred and best lifts.

Now I get it - position in chair is not right after transfer?!
    Don't know your level, Jack, or which chair you use. My boyfriend uses power chair with tilt and recline - he needs this as he can't do weightshifts. So - for positioning after transfer (and lots of other times) he just tilts and reclines completely - I stand behind him, grab under his armpits with my elbows and pull him backwards. Not hard, really, although he's a big man.
    For a manuel chair we'll need one more person to help with the transfer - or one of us would have to learn to operate the remote with our teeth....

Options

Perhaps you are in the wrong size sling or not using it right. Be sure to put the sling on the cradle with the longest loop at the legs and the shortest at the shoulders.

When we use this lift, we put the person into their chair just until their butt is barely touching the cushion, then go behind the chair and pull up on the back-strap on the sling. Then go to the front of the chair and lower the rest of the way while maintaining very firm pressure on the knee cap with one hand while operating the lift with the other. If done right, no need to reposition, and can then remove the sling easily by just pulling from under legs and then leaning forward to get free from the back. Going back to bed is just reverse of this process.

Another nice lift is the Maximove by Arjo, but it is a power lift and much more expensive. It does have easier adjustment of position though and is easier to get you just right in the chair. Slings are similar to the Hoyer. You might also want to look into ceiling track lifts if you only need to use the lift at home.

hey sci nurse

which lift is the lift of choice amoung quads.

I am a C5 motor quad. I use a Trixie lift by Arjo. It is battery operated and works well, but I do have to be repositioned and scooted back to make sure I am sitting up straight. It's nice because it also folds up and can be stored in a closet if need be, although we never do. I used a hoyer lift for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and did not realize how spoiled I am with a battery operated lift.