Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SCI or am I just lazy

SCI or am I just lazy

I'm a 26 yr. old C5/C6 quad and have been finding that it takes 10hrs of sleep a night for me. That should not be, but if I sleep less I feel I need a nap in the afternoon. Does SCI effect the amount of sleep I'm comfertable with or am I lazy?

Dave

i think its the sci...im 25, c6-7 and i gotta have 8 hrs and in the afternoons i sometimes take a nap for an hour or so, but if not i lay down anyways. if i dont rest mid day, i feel sooo exausted the second half of the day...could be some of the meds since i cant think of anything else

Even if your body cannot move, you can still think and meditate ~Dalai Lama~

What meds are you on? I take Baclofen + a little Valium for spasms. After a while the Valium seems to build up in my and I start getting very tired, and have a hard time waking up. I'll quit taking it until things return to normal, but I have to put up with increased spasms until then.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

yeah I pretty much agree w/ Jim... it's likely your meds' to blame. I'm c6/7 & get by just fine on 5-6hrs / night (I don't take any meds)... & I very rarely rest during the day.

but I do believe every body is different, so take that with a grain of salt.

i always thought it was the lack of activity. on my most active days i still don't get the excercise that a lazy ab does.

'The more you dissaprove the more fun it is for me.'

I love my sleep...I generally need between 8 to 10 hours now. For me, I dont think its the meds (only on ditropan) or inactivity or anything like that, I think its just the thought of waking up and having to go through the whole ordeal of showering and everything. So I just put it off as long as posibbly possible! It was different when I could jump up out of bed, throw on my gear and go for a run, then shower then work....now i just look at the time, close my eyes and drift off back to la la land until my alarm clock rudely interupts my dreams again.

I'm the same way. I just turned 24 years old I need about 10 hours of sleep to feel sufficiently rested. I don't take any meds and I workout. AnnaBanana hit it on the head. There just isn't anything exciting enough to get me out of bed anymore. Maybe if I had a nakid woman lying next to me?

I don't really know what it feels like to be sufficiently rested. I have never been able to establish a normal, consistent sleeping pattern. I usually go to bed around 12, if I'm lucky, and am out of bed by 7. I find I can't sleep past 9. If I sleep too much, I feel hungover.

I have found lately, since my back has been giving me more problems, that I'll take a nap when I get back from school, or from work because I experience fatigue. It's pretty depressing that a 21 year old has to take cat naps.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." - Oscar Wilde

Originally posted by AnnaBanana:

I think its just the thought of waking up and having to go through the whole ordeal of showering and everything. So I just put it off as long as posibbly possible!
    I sometimes feel that way too. I try not to wake up some days just because I dred digging poo outta my butt every morning. It takes me about 2 hours to BP, shower, and get dressed. Sometimes if I'm not planning on going out, I skip the shower.

I don't really have a regular sleep schedule either, never really did even before SCI.

Before SCI I went on 4 or 5 hrs of sleep at night during the week. Then when I'd sleep late on saturday and feel recharged to go for another week.

I usually naturally wake up after 8 hours, if I don't get disturbed. If something wakes me up in the middle of the night, like a bad leg spasm, then it screws me up and I end up sleeping longer.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that SCI can cause sleep requirements to go up - wish I could put my finger on it!