Thread: It's been about 5 or 6 years...

It's been about 5 or 6 years...

since I got the power chair I currently am using. It's the chair I got right out of rehab and it has been good to me but I'm starting to think it is time for a new chair. I need help, though. I haven't gone through the process of getting a new chair yet and am a bit anxious about the whole thing. I currently have a Ranger X and haven't had too many problems with it but would like to research my options. There are some things like the release for the arm rests that I do not care for. I do not want a chair any bigger than this one and DO NOT want a tilt on it. I have a tilt sitting in my basement because my therapists thought it would be best for me but never consulted me about it. So here are my questions:

1. Where do I start?
    2. Does anyone have any informative, recent, personal experiences with other power chairs that they'd like to share?
    3. Should I look into getting a new cushion as well? I have a Jay 2 Deep Contour that I've had for about 3 or 4 years. No problems. Should I look into a ROHO or stick with the Jay?
    4. I have private insurance and Medicaid secondary, how hard do you think will it be for me to get the chair I need?
    5. Does anyone have an extra set of balls I can borrow so that I make sure I get what I need? LOL

That's it for now. I may have more questions later but I'll start with that. Thanks in advance.

Kim

P.S. I'm 23 y.o. and a C-5 quad

1) consult your pt
    2)yes, i take my jazzy offroad every day and beat it up. it has been launched off curbs, survived 2 van accidents, pulls dead cars on a regular basis, can bust throgh a bedroom door with ease, has been up to the wheel hubs in water snow n mud, gets great traction on ice, fits anywhere, and looks great.
    3)no. not if your jay works good. they should be replaced every few years though.
    4)hell if i know. i pay out of pocket.
    5)sure, but you'll have to reach down the front of my pants to get them!

The more you dissaprove the more fun it is for me.

Kimmy, Find a dealer that you can work with, they should be able to help you with the claims or insurance paperwork. I think the most important thing is to be able to demo the chairs that you want to try. Try them in your van, in your house and outside for a few days each. A good dealer should allow this so that you are satisfied with the end product. Check the warrenties and make sure you will get the service that might come up. Wheelchairjunkies is a good site for reference on power and manual chairs. Invacare, Pride, Quickie, Bounder are all good companies. As far as seating, has it been a while since last seating clinic? Might be a good time to do it. Jim's Jay 2 showed up great at his seating clinic and he hasn't had any skin issues so we stuck with the Jay 2, but did get another one, which has come in handy.
    We will have to get another chair in a few years and will definitely be looking for a shorter 'footplate' and lower height to be able to get under tables. The Quantum Blast by Pride and Quickie are going to be at the top of the list. Although, Invacare he's had for 3 years has had no service problem and dependability is real important. Good luck.

I don't have a PT anymore. Thanks for the info so far guys. Keep it coming

What does it mean to "kim" your pretty face? lol.

I can help you with #5. Loan you as much as needed and stil have plenty left over. Take a breath, relax, do the research. You will make the right decisions.