Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: parking rant

Originally posted by klcmacjac:

SCI Nurse - How did the police figure out the scam? At the races they were checking to make sure that everyone had their origional pink paper to match the plackard. If grandparents give you their plackard, then they would give them their paperwork also.
    if they are not in the car with you you cannot use the placcard, the placcard at least on the ny state application states that you will only use it , its non transferrable, and if your condition for which issued improves and you no longer need it you will turn it in, i think also it states that to park in a hc spot you must use a assistate device or be pulling a oxygen tank with you, if they bring gramps and his O2 to the races they are probably AOK.
    nyc has much stricter regulations to obtain a placard , and as Dave H posted they can park all over, even in the signed no parking zone between 2 crosswalks which is great, except, you need to be a resident of nyc or work in nyc to get one. so visitors have a harder time unless they maybe go to state park in nyc.

In California the placard or plate is issued to a person. This person must be in the vehicle for it to be legally parked in handicapped parking. So the police just used their in-vehicle computers to check who the plates were registered to and if no one it the car could prove they were this person (ie, photo id), then they received a citation.

(KLD)

We have had a parking also. At Wal-mart is the worst. My boyfriend is T-4 complete and his truck is equiped with a lift that lifts his wheelchair in and out the back of the truck. Very visible. Well this was the latest. My grandparents are in the hospital so one the other day we went and visited him--well RIcky (my boyfriend) parks the truck in a handicapped spot and puts his placard up in the window (hanging) well we were coming out of the hospital and this lady. Probably in her 40's wheels in a handicapped parking spot and jumps out the car. well we both saw she didn't have a parking permit to be in a handicapped spot. so ricky hollers at her nicly and asks her to move it and if she didn't he would call the cops. she asked him what was wrong with him and didn't he already have a parking spot. Ricky proceed to tell her that that isn't fair for someone else not to have the spot like him and she could walk. she argued and told ricky that she was just running in the hospital to give someone something so ricky said fine i'll call the police and expect a ticket when you get out..she cussed him out and said fine this is stupid--which it wasn't because what if someone else liek ricky in a wheelchair was to come and visit someone they wouldn't have had a place to park and someone like her is taking it away from them. She was very disrespectful.

We've also had to literally fight over a parking spot and someone wasn't giving it up finally ricky got it and i watched the lady get out walking just fine and go into the mall. and her parking spot wasn't but a couple down from our. it was the point. I think also people get tags to easily. I see people walking fine that get them and also i see people using other peoples tags for there cars. It angers me so bad. The little incident with the lady at the hospital upset and made ricky so mad he almost fell out of the truck trying to get in because he's legs started spazing. I think the are just taking advantage of the situation.

AND NOW, ONE FOR THE OTHER SIDE...

Last Friday nite, Denise and I went to KFC for some takeout. It's a small parking lot with only 1 h/c stall. There was a car with no h/c plates or placard parked in it. Luckily there was another open spot, so Denise stopped in the lot, let me get out, then pulled into the spot.

We went into KFC, stood in line and when it came our turn to order, I asked for the manager. Manager came out and I told her that someone with no placard was parked in the h/c spot. I expected to get the usual..."I don't have any control over that..." type of response. What I got was a polite, "one minute sir, I will take care of it." She went into the dining room and came back to tell me that it was being moved. By the time we got our food and were back in the lot, the car was moved to another spot.

Denise pulled her car out, I got in, and we began to leave. As we were pulling out, a car with a h/c placard and a very old guy with a w/c stuffed into the back seat of a tiny Honda pulled into the h/c spot.

If I hadn't gotten that woman to move, even if not for me to park, this poor old guy would not have been able to park and get his chicken for the nite.

We all gotta watch out for each other.

Kap

"It's not easy being green"

[This message was edited by Kaprikorn1 on 01-12-04 at 04:15 PM.]

How do you know a person doesn't have an invisible disability, like a heart condition?

Sue

Originally posted by csmaus1:

How do you know a person doesn't have an invisible disability, like a heart condition?

Sue
    Sue...WTF?...I know nothing at all about the woman...i never even saw her...in California it is illegal to park in a marked H/C spot without a H/C liscense plate or a H/C placard displayed on the rear view mirror. It also illegal for anyone except the person the placard is registered to, to use it. She was breaking the law. What's your point??

Kap

"It's not easy being green"

csmaus1, maybe their invisable passenger was disabled

The more you dissaprove the more fun it is for me.

Hi

How is this for a WTF moment... My Bf and I were visiting someone in hospital and managed to get the one of the two spots avaliable.

He left the hospital before me.
    When I came outside I found him sitting in the middle of the road because some idiot with a mobility card had parked their car inbetween the two cars parked in the disabled car spots!!! Absolutely no room to get his chair down the gap left.

You think someone with a mobility sticker would have more consideration.

Cheers
    Kaye

Originally posted by kaye7:

Hi

How is this for a WTF moment... My Bf and I were visiting someone in hospital and managed to get the one of the two spots avaliable.

He left the hospital before me.
    When I came outside I found him sitting in the middle of the road because some idiot with a mobility card had parked their car inbetween the two cars parked in the disabled car spots!!! Absolutely no room to get his chair down the gap left.

You think someone with a mobility sticker would have more consideration.

Cheers
    Kaye
    I bet that person had one of those invisible disabilities.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

I don't think she was directing that at you, personally, Kap...just at the thread in general. People do get HC placards issued to them for things like heart conditions, lung conditions, being legally blind, etc. A lot of things we can't directly see, but that doesn't make them any less important. I see that all the time at work...and they aren't just "old people" either. Just because they don't use a wheelchair, or can walk a short distance and be okay, doesn't mean they can walk distances or are any less deserving of a HC spot than any of us are.

Don't piss me off or I'll run over your toes.