Thread: Medical Error Kills Young Cancer Patient

Medical Error Kills Young Cancer Patient

Medical Error Kills Young Cancer Patient
    Fri Dec 19, 5:50 PM ET Add Health - AP to My Yahoo!

By ALEX DOMINGUEZ, Associated Press Writer

BALTIMORE - A 2-year-old Johns Hopkins cancer patient died after apparently receiving excessive levels of potassium in an intravenous-feeding solution, the hospital said Friday.

The Johns Hopkins Children's Center said human error was the most likely explanation for the Dec. 4 death of Brianna Cohen. The hospital said it accepted full responsibility.

Brianna's parents said at a news conference Friday that the statement issued by the hospital failed to entirely portray what happened to their daughter.

They said she died not from a single mistake, "but a cascade of failures" in a system without enough safeguards.

"Losing a child is one thing, but losing a child the way it happened with Brianna is really hard," the child's mother, Mindie Cohen, said before breaking into tears.

An autopsy was not performed on the child at the family's request, but tests following the death showed "excessively high levels of potassium" in the Total Parenteral Nutrition solution, which contains proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients, the statement said.

The amount of potassium was four to five times higher than called for, the Children's Center said.

"Although our analysis is incomplete, and we are as yet unable to recreate the precise series of events that occurred, Hopkins fully accepts that the most likely explanation for this tragic event is that human error occurred in the manual formulation of the solutions," the statement said.

Miscommunication between the hospital and one of its pharmacies may have been a contributing factor, the hospital said.

In response to the death, the hospital said the preparation of all Home Care TNP solutions for children and adults will be done by fully automated systems now used for Hopkins inpatients.

The family's attorney, Gary A. Wais, said Brianna's potassium level steadily rose in three days leading to her death. The father, Mark Cohen, said the hospital staff ignored the trend.

A lawsuit has not been filed, and Wais said there has been no discussion regarding a settlement.

In 2001, the Children's Center launched a patient safety initiative after the death of an 18-month-old. The toddler died after the staff failed to treat her for severe dehydration.

I can beleive that, when I had my accident the hospital I was taken too was a trauma hospital but they would not listen too me about my back pain they with held my medicine which made me go through withdrawl and I did not know was going on I was out of my head when they asked about it I said no but with the previous account and record's they were given they should have found my problem but I continued for 2 months until my rehab Dr. called in a nurolegist and sent me for a MRI the night I left rehab which was 2 month's later.Then he found the problem but we know with a sci that is a little too late! they need to listen to what the patient's and there family's tell them