Thread: HANGING ON THEIR EVERY WORD, OR LACK OF !

HANGING ON THEIR EVERY WORD, OR LACK OF !

Doctors that is. In my 19 months post SCI, I have found myself reflecting back on my Dr's and Therapist lack of optimism on various aspects of regaining any form of return or recovery level!. I've heard maybe,could,might,never,can't,blah,blah,etc,etc! AAARRRGH!!!

What causes this? Is it because of legal issues? or maybe an unwritten rule in hippo oath after med school? Who knows!

Personaly, I have found myself working my tail off for one P/T in particular just because she offered words of encouragement, yes you can or why not,we will do it!
    I've had my fill of P/T and O/T's just puttin in 8hrs and saying your a crip and this is how you roll,flip and zip!!
    ( the basics are paramount tho). Just a positive word here and there could help to obtain that next little step in a modest gain of function or control.

Its amazing how the mind can hang on every word or lack of!
    end of rambling
    How do you feel?

DIGG

If you have to depend on others for encouragment you'll be stranded. Look to yourself. You're the one that has to fight to become more independent and decide what kind of life you want to have.
    I recall a PT telling me you'll never be able to transfer independently.
    "F**k You", I said, to him in my mind. Practiced, practiced, cried, cursed, crapped in my pants, cried, cursed, then did an independent transfer.

In the scheme of things it's no big deal, but I was able to tell myself, "Good job".

I had a pretty good PT- We're still friends, after 2 years.
    Whenever I find myself in town (Lexington, KY, and not very often) we always spend a couple dinners out and have a few weekend "play dates".

http://krstofer.org

This is a constant debate to me. Some people oppose "false hope"; I figure any hope is better than none at all. I had a therapist tell me that in 3 yrs, I wouldn't be able to tell anything had happened to me. I know now she was wrong, but it didn't hurt for me to believe and work towards that goal.

Some people say it's a legal issue that causes doctors to be so negative. All I ever got from a doctor was hangdog pessimistic crap. I'm glad I never listened to them.

I'd rather someone be straight with me than lie to me...and I'd rather be surprised than disappointed.

Don't piss me off or I'll run over your toes.

I have a close relationship with my physiotrist and my neurosurgeon, they're married. My physiotrist is very optimistic with all the gains I have made. She stays up-to-date with all the research as her brother has a cervical SCI too.

My neurosurgeon is a little more guarded with his choice of words towards me. I will never forget though his words, 'I can't tell you you'll walk again, but I'll never tell you that you won't'.

You have to keep some hope alive always.

Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--unknown

I rEmember laying in ICU and it was kinda dark, 15 years ago...dopped with morphine every 2 hours and daluadid evey 4 hours, I remember seeing out the corner of my eye, shadows of my mom and such a negative Dr. which later I learned had "put his own handicap son in a home", years later, he was fired, haha!

I heard mom beggin for her 18 year old son "please, please, what's my sons chances, PLEASE, 60/40, 50/50? Dr. says your son can get a great wheel-chair in which you blow through a straw and go anywhere he pleases, 14 grand! mom.."please, what's his chances? Dr yells 99 to 1, ok? I'm sorry, walks off. I remember her tears and a "no, i refuse this" from mom. Nurse walks in, I'm thinking she's a hottie I'm so high, i guess it was her heart? She says, 1 percent is better than nothing!..poor lowla...i called her, "delola" beggin for my drugs, lol

Long story short, I left in a manual chair. A year later i moved my left arm from HOURS of concentration, (nurses, drs, therapists and aids said was spasms) no feeling 'at first' arm an could feed myself with a regular spoon...I dragged my lifeless body down hallways till my elbows bled through this elastic stuff "theraband"? and elbow pads...I strenghthened...2 years later, I'm pushing a manual chair. 15 Years later, I just turned onto my stomach just last night, by myself. I see tricepts and finger movement after 15 years! No surgery, nada! I think, Dr.s cover their asses! If man only knows a 3rd of the human mind, how great is the 2/3rds left over??

--fast

I wonder if there is any relationship between year of injury and the kind of message you get from your docs, i.e. are doctors today more recovery-positive than before because of advances in p/t and medical treatment.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world...is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

Thanks gang for the input.At the moment I wrote this I was in the midst of my daily reflections of life ( which I have lots of time for now!) or funkomania if you will.
    LIZ, I think I've used your P/Ts,and krs how bout a ph#? hehe. After reading your posts and chewing on it awhile, the best recourse would be to hump your tail off to prove to the frig#2@^99nsoinso that it can be obtained!! and arm yourself with all the knowledge on SCI you can get, and thank you Wise for that. (If I could just understand it all).

DIGG Gonna flip off a few DOCS,someday!!

I think Liz is right. I know Fastas is right! I'm sort of in agreement with Betheny. I think hope is incredibly valuable and a wonderful tool. Just noone seems to know when to use it. Right off the bat, in the ICU we need honest assessments of the situation and of the current science. Damn difficult to decide on intubation, traching, etc., when you don't have a clue if they can even reverse a tracheostomy.

For some stupid reason I have met a ton of people who all seem to think as soon as we're down we suddenly know how to deal with the crap that goes with this. I was told within about 2-3 hours of my "ischemia event" that I would be fine in a year but would right then, like RIGHT then, need to be intubated. I had no idea that, one: the first idiot graduated last in his class; and 2, that if "temporarily" went past 10 days I was going to have hole cut into my throat and a machine totally running whatever life was left in my body.

I would have picked the revolving door given the chance if I knew then what I know now. But since I never got the chance to choose with any semi-coherent choices, once I could breath and move one arm I wanted hope. Now? I want a damn date!

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."