Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Why one doesn't believe in a higher power.

Because there's no proof of a higher power.
    "Look around me", right?
    All this was created by a higher power, some say.
    I say "What if it just is?" Why does anyone or anything have to create all that we see? Why can't it just be there?

I am much more interested in understanding my enviornment and how it works than "just believing".

For example, if prayer actually worked, then no truly religious people would be in wheelchairs, correct? Instead, why not spend our energy figuring out why we can't walk anymore, and finding a way to fix it?

http://krstofer.org

Originally posted by duge:

ever think the big bang might have been God's way of creating the universe. Read the Bible and you will see point's that have been proven down through history
    Remember the Big Bang and the Therory of evolution are just that One man's therory and he made money from it!!
    And the church has never made any money at all from pushing the bible.
    How many millions are donated PER WEEK? Way more than anyone ever made from a book on a theory.

One guy wrote the theory on evolution and the creation of the universe?

If there is a higher power, then why shouldn't we all be totally pissed at what she has done to us?

You can beleive that if you want but please a true church does not go around begging for money!!! Do you really think all of this was formed just by chance and made perfect. It's man the one who has the chance to beleive or disbeleive so Please don't judge us that beleive,when we have the Bible"The word's of God" rather than just a Therory Thank's

Ok Life is not a bed of roses, no ever said it would be but God did not do this to us, Maybe someday you will see there was times when I doubted myself But then if there was not a God then I would not have even lived, there is a power in prayer,sometimes we just may not ask in the right way I mean his answer's is not going to come all at once but every little gain we make , that is a gift from god

If your belief in your chosen deity helped you, then that's good. Others of us find other things that work for us.

Do you really think all of this was formed just by chance and made perfect.
    Out of curiosity, what is perfect?

I'm with krstofer: Why can't it just be?

And a question for those arguing that a God created the universe: If God has no beginning or end, why must the universe?

-Steven

You can beleive that if you want but please a true church does not go around begging for money!!! Do you really think all of this was formed just by chance and made perfect. It's man the one who has the chance to beleive or disbeleive so Please don't judge us that beleive,when we have the Bible"The word's of God" rather than just a Therory Thank's
    In truth, "the word of god" is simply another theory.
    Show me a church in which the western god (you know the one) is worshiped, and the collection plate is not passed.
    Untill about 150 years ago, the church was the tallest building in town, causing everyone, religious or not, to look up to it.

The world and the universe are far from perfect. Science explores the imperfectations, while the religious deny existance.
    Where's the mass (a physical weight, not some guy speaking) which keeps the universe from flying apart? You say "Well it's just god's will" while the rest of us look for the physical explanation.

I'm just alot happier with a scientific explanation of something I observe, than a blanket "god caused that" statement.

I would rather believe there is not a god than believe there is a god that allows genocides, children to be born with AIDS, horrible parasites and diseases, and all the other terrible injust things to happen to people who are guilty of nothing more than to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, or even just being born in certain areas of the world.

For those who don't believe in evolution or believe that the world was created for humans, consider the following:

Using sheer numbers as a criterion for success, beetles are the most successful animals on Earth. If a single example of every plant and animal species were placed in a row, every fifth species would be a beetle and every tenth species a weevil (one group of beetles).

British biochemist J.B.S. Haldane, who was once approached by a distinguished theologian to ask what inferences could drawn about the nature of the Creator from the study of His Creation. Haldane replied with his usual terseness: "That He has an inordinate fondness for beetles."

Jimmy, nice argument. I'll reread that "Now, can..." paragraph a few times before commenting on it, but for the sake of correctness [hehe ], I felt the need to respond to one of your assertions/axioms.

Originally posted by JimmyMack:

For an infinite number of finite causes is impossible; finite added to finite can never equal infinite.
    I disagree with the premise of this. An infinite number of finite causes is theoretically possible, because there are no bounds on "infinite" and therefore, you can add as many finite causes as you want.

Technically/mathematically speaking, how many ones are in the range of infinity? An infinite number, right?

-Steven

Man, Jimmy, your brain amazes me sometimes...
    and Steven's too. Only Steven would come up with a mathematical equation!

All I know is that my life would be poorer without my faith.