Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021

Thread: Why one doesn't believe in a higher power.

RDF,

Extremely well said, ditto.

Deb

Originally posted by Debbie7:

RDF,

Extremely well said, ditto.

Deb
    Deb, if you are dittoing rdf, then please explain to me where, anywhere, in my writing have I tied "religion" to God?

It amazes me. It truly amazes me. That everytime we have this discussion and christians along with everyone else on the thread explain their faith, we are attacked. I could understand it, if I were speaking as David and some other, preaching hell and damnation. I could get with that.

But I'm not. Steven asked me a question. I answered with what our scriptures tell us who follow the christian faith. If you want to reject it that's cool. Its your life not mine. I have many non-christian friends who feel this way. If you want to accept it, even better. But don't attack my faith. I haven't attacked yours or rdf's anywhere in here. In my view that is how people are turned off from the christian faith. starlight has referenced the "pushy christian" more than once . . . and at times she is right.

All I can do is tell you what i believe. Take it for what it is. But when one attacks like rdf has without reason or support and references only partly what is being said out of context, then that person loses the basis for their argument. I NEVER, NOT ONCE, tied religion AS RDF DEFINES it to God. In my mind the "religous" mindset has savagely damaged the image of christianity.

When rdf and others want to attack one belief system over another, they become exactly what they are accusing christians of . . . they are pushing their agnostic religion on me in an arrogant and offensive manner that only serves to create distrust. rdf has preached agnostism here much more in as dogmatic a fashion as anyone has (including David) regarding christianity.

Religion is religion. People caught up in their strict confines too rigid to even discuss without attacking. Christians, Jews, Muslims, athiests AND agnostics are as guilty of it as anyone. That is why I look forward to "walking in the fields of grace . . . where religion finally dies . . . where I can lay down my foolish pride. . . " Big Daddy Weave - Fields of Grace.

Have a great New Year everyone.

Larswatson,

I was actually saying ditto to the way rdf feels about organized religion not putting down your beliefs. Should have nade myself clearer.

Deb

When rdf and others want to attack one belief system over another, they become exactly what they are accusing christians of . . . they are pushing their agnostic religion on me in an arrogant and offensive manner that only serves to create distrust. rdf has preached agnostism here much more in as dogmatic a fashion
    Please, Lars, I haven't "attacked" anything. I'm debating and discussing, why do call it attacking? My words haven't been "arrogant," nor "offensive." I don't like those words...to speak one's mind is now considered arrogant and offensive? Leave the personal insults out, please.

This thread just turned negative solely because maybe a few others believe as do I. If you think I was pushing my belief onto you, Lars, I apologize. I didn't consider it as an attack when I wrote my reponses. But I don't appreciate your insults, either.

In reality, nobody knows what's going to happen when we die, until we die, period. If faith gives you comfort, I'm all for it. But there is no actual "proof" of any higher power beyond one's own faith in their own god.

Conversely, most scientists believe in a higher power...

I have my faith and belief, others have their's...they can all co-exist.

None is the only correct faith, and all faiths that give comfort are welcome in the world, because they make it a better place for us all...religiously diverse, spiritually rich, with people ever loving and caring for one another.

In the final analysis, Bobby Zimmerman said it best:

"The answser my friend, is blowin' in the wind, the answer is blowin' in the wind."

This thread is done for me, it's turned mean, and thus lost its worth as a discussion about the different and diverse beliefs that people have in the world.

And because maybe we have forgotten the title: "Why one doesn't believe in a higher power." But it lasted a long while considering the subject matter

I apologize again to anybody who was offended, or who felt I was distrustful, or dogmatic. Religion is a passionate subject, and I don't believe I acted in the manner I'm accused of. But it doesn't bother me, my conscience is clear on what I've said.

Happy New Year To Everybody

- peace, I love you all, even you Lars

rdf, Deb, Scott, chick, bridget, et. al

May the New Year bring all of us an enriched spirit, an enlightened heart, and a peaceful joy.

larwatson,

Amen

Deb

Hello Chick-

Happy Holidays!

Originally posted by Bridget:

"most wars throughout history are caused by religion--"

Originally posted by chick:
    Most wars are caused by INJUSTICE. Religion is merely a tool to legitimate and justify Injustice.

Originally posted by Bridget:
    Chick, ... I agree about wars being caused by injustice, but many are due to religion. For example, whats going on now in Iraq started with religion.

I think most wars are caused by people who covet power, whether it's for god or country is just a means to an end.

Wow what a powerful discussion. This has been very helpful reading for me, I have been in personal termoil about my faith for the last few months.

I know it's hard to discuss, but thank you all for sharing your deep feelings and thoughts. It has been helpful to see all sides.

Happy New Year.